Stockish 305 HEI Help

TurboNova

Ok helping a buddy out on his 305 in an 86 c10. Its got a 305 with some junk small tube headers, edelbrock 500cfm electric choke carb and stock hei ignition.

Got the truck to idle real nice, replaced cap/rotor and plugs. Set the timing to the prescribed 4* with vac advance plugged. When I rev the truck to 3000rpm with adv plugged in it goes to around 25-26*.

Truck was dieseling prior to the adjustements now it starts, idles and shuts off clean.

But when driving it and you give it part throttle to full throttle is pops and bucks through the intake/carb

sprayed all the wires down with water and hei stuff, nothing is arching and then sprayed around the base of carb area with carb clean and did not find any vac leaks.

ruled the fuel filter out as well.

Im going to look at the carb some more, wonder if the accelerator pump is shot or gummed up. it just acts like its ignition or fuel related. I truly dislike carbs in general.

I need to look into the vacuum advance. I reved it to 3k with the timing light and the timing advanced from 4*(spec) at 550rpm idle to 26-28*. so I am more thinking carburetor issues....

Popping through the carb is lean through the exh rich that's the same carbed or fi.

Fyi I LoVe Carbs! Accel pump on a edelbrock just has a little seal. Pop the top of the carb off and get the marine accel pump it adds more volume for pump. Also u can use the bottom of the 3 holes for a longer pump shot. But it sounds like the carb may just need cleaned.

Yeah I think I have it narrowed down to the accel pump. I pulled the air cleaner back off with the engine off and hit the throttle linkage watching the squirters and no fuel came out the rear 2 barrels and the front kind of just misted not really spraying. Ill take it apart and clean the carb and proly just throw in an accel pump and new needle/seat set.