Cam Decisions (Shouldn't have made mine so fast)

Fubar231

I think im just gonna stick with the MS3. It was my first choice really and after reading a lot i feel like the only people that dont want to DD it are people who dont want to deal with any bs cause its there daily. I dont really mind so much so im going for it.

Just got to make sure i got everything to do the swap before i actually start. Need to grab some arp bolts for what i cant remember, have it wrote down, but cant really wait.

• Upvote 1

Here's been my experience with cams over the last 3 years. I know you dont plan on being at the track all the time, but the numbers will give you an idea of what I was working with. (keep in mind this is an A4)

228/232 110+1

Motor: 11.5

150 shot: 10.72 @128 1.62 60'

Quick, but top end felt weak

MS3 112

Motor: 11.7

150 shot: 10.79 @130 1.58 60'

You can feel it continue to climb on the top end. Fun as hell. Just a little too much lope for me.

233/239 112

Motor: 11.6

125 shot: 10.75 @ 126 1.61 60'

This was my compromise. I really haven't had much of a chance to tweak it track wise but it makes driving to work fun as hell. The car was acting funny so I went with smaller jets at the track. Ended up that I had some electrical problems. Havent had enough free time to test it out since.

As you can see, of the 3 cams the MS3 had more power up top and only lost a small bit of quickness. I think I actually spun a little when the spray hit so I'm sure if I would have given it a chance it would have had the best time. Since I wanted to drive my car more the MS3 was a touch over what I considered to be ok for daily driving. Of the 3 it was the most fun, but sitting in traffic with it was annoying.

Like stated, with your M6 it will be fine. Another thing to keep in mind... since you are getting the cam before the heads you will not get the full effect. Get those higher airflow mods in there as soon as you can and read up to make sure they compliment the cam/each other. I have purchased and sold about 10 cams in the last 6 years so I know how you feel. You read good/bad reviews. Spend hours doing research only to order it and second guess if it was the right choice. You wont know if you like it until you feel it in action. Even driving other peoples cars really doesnt help (imo) because its not your own car. The good news is if you do need to sell it you can make most of your money back.

Sorry for the novel, but you remind me of myself 7 years ago and I figured I could help.

Edited by V8 Beast
  • Upvote 1

Great post Brian, that helps a lot. I really want to pick a cam that just pulls like a train up top, because it seems i find a lot more people willing to roll than to dig. (Nobody likes to bring shovels to races anymore)

Also i know what you mean by doing hours of research and still second guessing yourself, but hey ill just have to see for myself once its in the car.

Oh, and would you suggest a 113 LSA over a 112 for a street car, since that might help the idle a little and not be so lopey.

112 is fine. You probably wouldnt even feel the difference between 112 and 113. As long as the tune is on point you will be fine. With my car the issue tune wise was my car hates anything below 45 degrees. Once it got warmed up it was fine. On a side note that lope when it was cold was cool as hell. It had that delay that reminded me of the old school muscle cars.

112 is fine. You probably wouldnt even feel the difference between 112 and 113.

Alright cool. Now i just need to find someone who has 42# injectors, or 60# possibly, but something thatll fit the LS1 intake/rail without having to buy spacers or something.

I have the ms3 its not a bad cam. If i had it to do over id go with a custom grind. If u do the ms3 u need gears to stay in the power band. I sprayed a 150 cam only then went to a 100 with the heads. I also have 112 and love the sound

Alright cool. Now i just need to find someone who has 42# injectors, or 60# possibly, but something thatll fit the LS1 intake/rail without having to buy spacers or something.

Ford Racing 39lb injectors will be fine for your setup. Do you have a 255lph fuel pump yet? I'd also highly reccomend getting an LS2 timing chain if you haven't already.

The other thing you should invest in is some updated suspension components.

Are you still on 100% stock parts? They will not support consistent results with more power and depending on how worn out they are, may be unpredictable.

I am just looking out for your safety in your quest of speed.

This is a great thread. I just got my SFC's put on the other day and now feel like the car hooks up well enough to add more power. Will probably be doing a cam and spray this winter along with some other suspension upgrades. This helped a ton.