Cam Decisions (Shouldn't have made mine so fast)

Fubar231

So after thinking alot about the cam i ordered for my car im thinking about changing to a different one. I ordered a MS3 cam from Texas Speed but im really thinking about switching it up. Im going to be running a double spring good for .650" lift and i want something thats going to make good power.

I chose the MS3 because i always hear tons of people talking about it, seems like it makes good power, but i don't really know if i need something that big. I do want a cam that screams up top though.

So ive been thinking about sending it back and switching it out for something. Ive been looking at the following.

MS3 (Ordered but might return) http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1152-texas-speed-magic-stick-3-237242-603609-camshaft.aspx

228R http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1148-texas-speed-228r-228228-588588-camshaft.aspx

Torquer V3 http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1150-texas-speed-torquer-v3-231234-643598-camshaft.aspx

Also maybe the 233/239 http://www.texas-speed.com/p-1154-texas-speed-233239-595603-camshaft.aspx

What would you guys suggest? Car is still stock heads for now, and im running your basic bolt ons. I want a cam that doesnt have to wait until 5k to make power. Id rather make the power from 3k to 6.5-7k than one thats designed to run 4.5k/5k-8k.

So after thinking alot about the cam i ordered for my car im thinking about changing to a different one. I ordered a MS3 cam from Texas Speed but im really thinking about switching it up. Im going to be running a double spring good for .650" lift and i want something thats going to make good power.

I chose the MS3 because i always hear tons of people talking about it, seems like it makes good power, but i don't really know if i need something that big. I do want a cam that screams up top though.

So ive been thinking about sending it back and switching it out for something. Ive been looking at the following.

MS3 (Ordered but might return)

228R

Torquer V3

What would you guys suggest? Car is still stock heads for now, and im running your basic bolt ons.

I am sure heads make the biggest difference after/during a cam swap.

It comes down to what you plan on using your car for. Drag racing or generally running it way up in rpm thru the gears - MS3.

Its not a bad cam, but the power is going to be up higher.

I was reading on LS1Tech, People say the 228r and torquer are about the same in total horsepower. The 228r has more low end torque, where as the v3 doesn't really make power till 4,300 rpm.

Personally I am looking into the 228r or one similar when I am ready to buy. However my car is on its way to becoming a touring/autox car.

Well in order to do that, you need to decide what you are using the car for. Don't think of the 228r as a weak or small cam because of what I plan on using it for. It is 'small' but in all honesty it is a well rounded middle of the road cam. It makes power every where but you won't be making a 500+ hp car either.

If you are keeping your Camaro for a while now (I saw where you were thinking about getting rid of it), consider swapping to a higher displacement or a more 'factory capable' motor like a used LS2 or LS3.

Well in order to do that, you need to decide what you are using the car for.

This.

You really need to know what kind of use this car will have before you make any decision.

In my corolla, I wanted to build the car for track, and run one of the biggest cams I could. I figured it couldn't be too bad to drive on the street with 304 duration cams, but was I wrong. I knew it would be mostly up top that I would make power, but it's literally nothing below 5 grand. Driving the damn thing on the street is literally a chore, but on the track it's a hoot once I rev the piss out of it. Granted, the cam I picked is on the extreme side of what you're looking at. But, when they say drivability is affected, I suggest taking it into consideration.

Honestly, I would make a conservative choice from there and then move up to something bigger later if you really feel you can handle it.

MS3!

Put one in an ls2 car with full exhaust and vararam intake. made 430 something rear wheel. I think I just sent his injectors off to FIC and had them redo the stocks and flowmatch them to 43#.

Ended up spraying 150 on the car and it screams with or without the spray.

Its a good overall cam, it proly is a little on the larger side for a driver of any sort especially with 112lsa but good sounding cam IMHO

Hmm... As you can see my above plan should hopefully put me at 500+ wheel. Figured that would be good for now.

You'll be content with that for about 2 weeks lol trust me I was in the same boat....then the races got bigger and opponents got faster and the shot size increased with it....Don't be afraid of your bottom end, you're safe up to a 175-200 with a 01/02 bottom end or ARP rod bolts.

You'll be content with that for about 2 weeks lol trust me I was in the same boat....then the races got bigger and opponents got faster and the shot size increased with it....Don't be afraid of your bottom end, you're safe up to a 175-200 with a 01/02 bottom end or ARP rod bolts.

I put my 150 jets in after my first pull on 100, it just makes such a big difference especially when you're just doing a safe tune that I wouldn't even bother with less. The right tuneup and safe settings there no reason to worry, because things will eventually break regardless of how much you spray, the engine should take it.

I put my 150 jets in after my first pull on 100, it just makes such a big difference especially when you're just doing a safe tune that I wouldn't even bother with less. The right tuneup and safe settings there no reason to worry, because things will eventually break regardless of how much you spray, the engine should take it.

Yeah, I think I was running 26 degrees of timing with my 150, and it loved everybit of it and nothing broke. 100% stock bottom end.

I loved my RapTR cam from Thunder Racing and it has very similar specs to the MS3....It wasn't much for low end torque but up top it screamed and loved the juice. If you want something smaller, I'd go with like a 224/228 or a 228r.
Ms3's are great cams. If it's tuned by someone whos good the car should not lug below 2000 like you typically see. If you do get the car tuned and it does bring it to me I'll fix the low end up for ya .
I had an ms3 in my last car, it was great, I drove the car 100 miles a day, 20+ MPG, and I could go in 6th at 60 with no bucking with 3.42 gear.
Ill probably just stick with the MS3 then. I figured anything bigger than this would be too much for a daily. GO FAST LONGTUBES MS3 100 SHOT
I am looking to go with the MS3 myself, seems to be a great overall cam.
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy112/misc_brahs/phaggot.gif Edited by Rustlestiltskin