9mm Luger Defense Round Opinions

hpfiend

Hey all-

For a Glock 19 9mm.

Looking at Cor-bon +P http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-COR09115

Federal HST... can only find hydrashocks which is not the same, correct? Anyone have a link?

Hornady Critical Defense http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/9-52148 which is currently not available

I currently have Winchester PDX and Hornady TAP currently- both seem to fire fine to me.... the PDX is hard to find but I seem to prefer it to the TAP seems smoother to me hehe

ALSO

How many defense rounds do you keep on hand?

I have 15 defense shotgun shells and 47 9mm defense rounds between me and the end of the world currently... lately I have been feeling I need more ... definitely more target rounds...

Hornady Critical Defense http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/9-52148 which is currently not available

This is my preference. Not available? Have you tried the LGS?

How many defense rounds do you keep on hand?

I have 15 defense shotgun shells and 47 9mm defense rounds between me and the end of the world currently... lately I have been feeling I need more ... definitely more target rounds...

Usually a box or two of defense rounds. Enough for my 3 mags for my SR9c. Also have 1 box of 12g defense rounds. When the world ends I'll sling out ball rounds left and right if need be. Won't be worrying too much about over penetration at that point.

I have Critical Defense in my daily carry and Federal HST in my next to the bed gun.

I have some Critical Duty 136 +P I'm waiting to go out and test. I'm looking to replace the HST with it depending on how it performs.

I keep at least 2 mags for each of my firearms loaded with self defense ammo.

with a G19 most any JHP should be sufficient, it does however start to get complicated when you get down to 3" barrels. less speed = less expansion. haven't read anything too definitive yet either. Speer make a special "short barrel" gold dot, maybe I'll try that. I don't think I'm going to get motivated enough to do my own expansion tests though.

To those of you that are shooting HST are you using the +P 147gr or standard 124gr?

124 at the moment, 0 issues in a P226

LGS critical defense?

So you have your magazines fully loaded and then one full reload of each? By box do you mean a 5 round box of shells or some sort of case?

LGS = Local gun store. Vances, Ohio Valley, etc.

I have enough for my 3 mags (17 and two 10 round mags) loaded. Usually have a few left over since 37 is an odd number. No others aside from that.

For my 12g I bought a box of 5. Anything after that would be my standard hunting loads.

I use the LE Federal Hydra shocks but my favorite round is the Winchester ranger 147grain....it's the same thing as the old lethal Black talon's they discontinued in 93' or so just the newer version. I looked at the gel tests on youtube and the ranger expanded the most :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I bought a box of the Federal HST 147 grain rounds. They seemed to be a nice round with less recoil than the hornady TAP (do not like that round- they do look cool though)

The entire box fed without issues in my glock 19. I shot a lot of the 147 grain Winchester PDX supreme elite as well which blackwing recommended to me last time.... apparently the 40 caliber version of this is what the FBI uses.

I find the recoil to be less on the PDX for second shot target acquisition. They are twice the price as the HSTs and do not expand as much but they are bonded if for whatever reason I should have to shoot through glass or drywall?? Likelihood- who knows...

The accuracy between the two is about the same- which would you go for and why?>

Edited by hpfiend

Ok I bought a box of the Federal HST 147 grain rounds. They seemed to be a nice round with less recoil than the hornady TAP (do not like that round- they do look cool though)

The entire box fed without issues in my glock 19. I shot a lot of the 147 grain Winchester PDX supreme elite as well which blackwing recommended to me last time.... apparently the 40 caliber version of this is what the FBI uses.

I find the recoil to be less on the PDX for second shot target acquisition. They are twice the price as the HSTs and not expand as much but they are bonded if for whatever reason I should have to shoot through glass or drywall?? Likelihood- who knows...

The accuracy between the two is about the same- which would you go for and why?>

If you like throwing money away, go with the PDX1. The performance of different bullets can vary greatly with caliber and velocity, just because the FBI uses the PDX1 in their service weapons, doesn't meant that the 9mm version is just as good. Just google some ballistic tests with the 9mm HST, they are far superior than the PDX1 in cavitation, expansion and penetration when shooting at ballistic gel. FBI uses the PDX1 because they are more likely to shoot through barrier and bonded bullets perform better. But the federal HST is the most common bullet used by LE. I have read that the PDX1 has some failure to properly expand issues as well. The answer is pretty obvious. And for some reason if you really have to shoot through barrier, the HST will still do it's job. I also suggest putting a magazine of the SD bullet you are going to use through the gun you are going to defend our life at the end of every trip to the range, so being 1/2 the price could add up in the long run.

As for recoil being more on the federal hst, you are probably shooting the +P version. The recoil should the same/similar between the HST and PDX1 in 147gr since muzzle velocity for both is 1000 fps.

Federal HST 147gr expansion through ballistic gel. So pretty... :)

http://le.atk.com/wound_ballistics/load_comparison/images/P9HST2_147gr_Wall.jpg

Good argument! I will be ordering more federal hst's

It's bizarre but there must be anothe factor besides bullet weight and charge as all three defense rounds I shot today were 147 grains. All were standard loads not +p. The pdx1 lists 1000 fps on the box as does the federal hst, the hornady TAP lists 975. The TAP recoils a lot more than both the pdx1 and the hst. The hst recoils a slight but noticeable amount more than the pdx1? Do you think it is aerodynamics? The federal hst's feel bigger to me than the pdx1s. Maybe a tad longer?