Craigslist Scam?

Rocky31186

Tis the season for break-in's, robbery's, and scams...

Ok, so I found this car on craigslist that I want to buy. I called the number and it went strait to voicemail. It said "If your calling about the ad, leave a detailed message".

SCAM?

I called him back again and it rang / he answered. I talked to him about the car. He told me that it belongs to his neighbor, who is older. The car is a one owner and he told his neighbor to sell it for him. We set up a time and place to meet. I show up, and the car is very clean. There is a rip in the leather seat, needs brakes bad (pulsation). I said ok, I'll take it. What do we need to do now? He said his neighbor works until 5pm tonight and cant meet up until then. But since he has had 15 phone calls about it, if I left him a DEPOSIT, he would hold it for me. I said no way am I leaving a deposit, but I have cash if you can get the title right now.

So he texted the "owner" and didnt get reply. So he said he would call me when he hears back from the owner. Then we can meet up tonight to sign title over.

I dont know if its a scam or not.. It seems really fishy, but if its just a messed up way of selling a car it could be a great deal.

I took a picture of his license plate, and I have his cell phone number. Waiting to hear back from him tonight.. (Dont think he will call)

I just read some where (maybe here) that someone was doing a deposit scam like you said above. The phone they use is a throw away phone. By the time they have your money and you have nothing to go on...the phone is in the trash and they are buying another for the next victims....all while smoking the rock!