Ruger 10/22 Info Please

wagner

I would like to pick up a .22 and it seems the 10/22 is one of the better options out there.

What model would the gun people of CR suggest? I will be using this for plinking, tinkering, and maybe hunting. Should I go with just your standard 10/22 or the tactical?

I really wanted to get the M&P 15-22 but I don't know if I can justify the cost yet since I don't have the big boy version yet.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditch the M&P 15-22. The Ruger 10/22 Carbine is what you need. If you look at it closely, the loosely based it upon the M1 Carbine in operation.

- Magazine fed

- Thousands of parts to make it a tack driver

- Fires damn near anything put in it

- Accurate enough out of the box

- Did I mention you can change everything on the rifle?

I got another one for Christmas to give me a rimfire project. If you have to have an "AR" style .22, save the $, buy a 5.56 AR, then a .22 conversion.

Carbine is always a great option. I picked the takedown model because I wanted it to come apart. I thought it would fit in my bag long ways but it is a little too long. My AR-7 seems to be the only one that will fit. That gun hurts after shooting a few hundred rounds though. The takedown does come with a nice bag so that is always an option. Mine will fire anything, russian junk, wally world bullshit, and CCIs. No jams ever. Get a few 25 round ruger mags and that gun is awesome.

Im in the same boat, i want get a tactical style and wanted something reliable and i know that is hard in 22lr. I have been looking at the sig 522, it seems to be the new kid on the block and very reliable. But it is also expensive and hard to find. Does anyone have the 10/22 tactical in stock? or the base and tactical parts to add on?

Carbine is always a great option. I picked the takedown model because I wanted it to come apart. I thought it would fit in my bag long ways but it is a little too long. My AR-7 seems to be the only one that will fit. That gun hurts after shooting a few hundred rounds though. The takedown does come with a nice bag so that is always an option. Mine will fire anything, russian junk, wally world bullshit, and CCIs. No jams ever. Get a few 25 round ruger mags and that gun is awesome.

This is my next purchase.

I just picked up a Marlin 795 that I love. Dirt cheap, around $120 new and have seen for less. Locks on empty mag, has eaten up all my cheap brick ammo, and is pleasantly accurate. I love 10/22s though, and if you plan on any customizing beyond boyds stock, or need reliable 25 round magazines go with one of those.

I have to say that if I was to buy a factory 10/22 and NOT mess with it, I'd be going with the Mannlicher style version:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Ruger_10_22_International.png

I just wish they made them with the 20" or 22" inch barrel. The 18.5" works okay, but I like a longer barrel.

My ZK-22 bullpup stock is *now* supposed to be here in December. I pre-ordered it in April lol. The rest of my 10/22 is ready to go. Polished trigger nose/hammer notch, bolt lock mod, E.R. Shaw 18" bull barrel fluted and threaded currently with an A2 compensator, later to be a suppressor. Should be a fun gun. TONS of options for a 10/22. Kinda like the Civic of guns....only cooler.

I think they hold their value well, so you should probably go new, as used won't save you too much.

I would find an older one if I could. They used to make everything out of metal and have since switched to making a lot of shit out of plastic in the past few years or so.

A 10/22 is one of the few 'standards' that I do not own. My intention is to eventually build one up completely from aftermarket parts; receiver included.

I ordered a woodstock 10/22 from Dick's on BF for $180. I ordered this scope:http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/bsa-sweet-22-3-9x40-mm-scope-matte-black.aspx?a=644012

All it needs to do is plink cheaply. Might add a cheap bi-pod or a synthetic stock if I decide I don't like Ruger's wood. I'm thinking of trying out some subsonic ammo for quiet plinking in my back yard. :)