Ammo, how much of it?

Mojoe

To answer that question: you can never have too much. But what I'm asking is, to you, what do you see as the amount you should have on hand?

For some reason, my base amount that I have pushing in my head is 1000 per gun, not per caliber, per gun. I have been buying up quite a bit lately. It took a little while and watching for deals, but I think it's a make since amount.

Thoughts?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have about 500 rounds give or take per caliber. I only own one duplicate caliber and that's a .357 I rotate it often as I have fun. If hell breaks loose and I need more than what I have for the guns I own, we're in more trouble than more bullets can solve.

In MY case 15 rounds is enough lol. I only have one 9mm and 2 magazines for it... Theoretically if someone is breaking in I hope I would only need a few of the little guys.

Considering I have a box of 50, I'm good.

For a break in, I see what you're saying. My thought is, on hand, staock piled for is ammo gets hard to come by in the future. or even if you needed to take what you can carry and leave.

well i have an ar15, and have a 1000 rounds of .223, an sks with 1000 rounds of 7.62, a glock 27 and 23 with 600 rounds of .40

I have a little more than 1k rounds per AR, could use more now. I do need more ammo for my hand guns though. If you find any deals in .223 or 9mm, let me know. :) And i'll do the same.

This is a little more toward what I was thinking.

I have about 500 rounds give or take per caliber. I only own one duplicate caliber and that's a .357 I rotate it often as I have fun. If hell breaks loose and I need more than what I have for the guns I own, we're in more trouble than more bullets can solve.

I think that is very realistic. I want as much as I can get my hands on. Who doesn't? I mean, you can only carry so much, right? But should it be hard to get at some time down the road, not say legally or anything, just meaning limited production or whatever.

After watching the walking dead, I need MOAR AMMO!

I think arrows might be ther way to go there. How long before we are stocking up on those?

Problem is, there are only so many times you can shoot an arrow into a hard surface, like a tree, and it still be straight and true. Let alone, anyone ever tried to pull an arrow from a compound bow out of wood? Not easy. Better just unscrew the head off it.

Back on the ammo. Here's my next question. Say you have 1000 rounds per weapon, how mush did you spend, and how many more guns could you have bought?

Don't answer that per say.

Just makes me think, if you have 5 guns and all that stock piled ammo, that could have been 1-2 more guns. But that would just mean needing MORE ammo. It's endless. I say get all you can and collect them or be able to arm you friends/family if need be.

My question is how much gold or silver could you have bought? Given we are not talking about stupid bullshit apocalypse stuff, I assume that would be of tremendous value?....

Now if that is covered by other means, then my opinion is good quality guns + tons of ammo > extreme arsenal of guns + less ammo.

I'm a big fan of mineral investing. I need a better avenue for it. But, I do think it's right up there with things you should have. I mean if you're sitting on 15,000 rounds and no gold, maybe redirect your efforts for a little while. haha

1000 per gun is a great start. For home evasions I would just want my box of 00 buck plus my carry weapon. Consider stashing other types of weapons that do not require ammo :)

Molitoff coctails?

You get rid of the intruder and an insurance check all at once?

1000 rounds is not that much if it's a caliber you shoot regularly. I like to have 5000+ rounds of each caliber that I shoot regularly.

You're right. And 5000 seems better to me for an amount to get up to, reguaress of if you get to shoot often or not. If you're someone who has to pay a range to shoot all the time and thinks having 2 boxes of ammo at the house is plenty, I'm trying to let that person see that having more on hand is a good thing. And I'm sure someone reading this is in that situation.

To me, arm CR and have them ready and not in need. There is a strong base of gun enthusiasts here. Many have read about guns on here and then bought one. What I hope is they get a good suppy of ammo and not just enough for one visit to the range. Stock it up. Shoot your guns and master them, or collect them if that is your thing.

I just picked up a Remington bucket o' bullets this weekend for my 22. 1400 rounds. I'm gonna see how they shoot and if they are good might buy another. Having bulk ammo in something like that being easy to carry is nice.

That would last me like a day, luckly 22LRs are readily available.

I like to keep 1000 9mm and am aiming to have at least 2k in 5.56 or .223.

I want to get my 9mm stock up more. I feel 1000 is good to have so you have at least 500 there to break in a new gun.

If you had to take off on foot then 1000 of each caliber might be more than what some could carry with the rest of their crap.