Trigger reset on range = cheating?

hpfiend

Hey all-

As far as practicing for self-defense... Do you allow the trigger to return all the way so that you are always practicing first shot or do you hold it back and just let it reset and fire again for repeated shot accuracy? I am not sure I would remember to hold it back in a real situation so I felt like I was cheating but I would be a lot more effective in my defense if I could...

I know I am explaining this poorly...

It takes me a while to take the slack out of the trigger the first shot and is difficult to stay on target while I do it- not really realistic for a defense situation I wouldn't think... but maybe I should practice that way as I really dont want to waste the first shot...

I practice both. I'm running and gunning a lot during USPSA Per the rules, you are not allowed to have your finger inside the trigger guard while on the move (d/t obvious safety concerns). This leads to having to shoot full pull any number of times. I do, however, shoot from reset whenever possible as it leads to faster splits.

Cliff: Practice both.

The technical term you're looking for is pre-travel. It's part and parcel of the two-stage trigger almost all guns use today. A good trigger job or tuning kit will greatly reduce that travel, and sometimes it can be eliminated entirely, depending on what your piece is.

I practice both. I'm running and gunning a lot during USPSA Per the rules, you are not allowed to have your finger inside the trigger guard while on the move (d/t obvious safety concerns). This leads to having to shoot full pull any number of times. I do, however, shoot from reset whenever possible as it leads to faster splits.

Cliff: Practice both.

Where do you shoot USPSA at? Just curious because my dad does it too...