Coin Experts?

Fubar231

Heres the pics, best i could get with the Macro setting on my phone. Its supposed to be a 1776 continental currency coin. Ive read there any many variations of this coin, some with Currency spelled "Currency" and some "Curency", and some copper some tin some pewter.

I believe this is a pewter one with the "Curency" spelling

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/SevereSarz/Coin1.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/SevereSarz/Coin2.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/SevereSarz/Coin3.jpg

And this is something on the bottom of the coin and i cant tell what it says

Also my grandfather gave me this coin and hes like 92 now, and he said hes had it a LONG time.

You should put it in coke... Coke will clean all the grim out for a crisp coin... Works on pennies

TERRIBLE IDEA.

Things can be worth tons of money in 'original' condition. Have you never seen Pawn Stars or Antique Road Show?

http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=3789

NEVER CLEAN A COIN. CLEANING RUINS VALUE.....

.....The main problem with the second coin is its horrible surfaces. This is the best indication that the coin is not genuine.

I'd put my money on it being a reproduction. "real" ones seem to be much much crisper. I know it would be old as shit, but unless it has lived in a pond....

Looks completely cast vs struck.

Edited by iwashmycar
edit

TERRIBLE IDEA.

Things can be worth tons of money in 'original' condition. Have you never seen Pawn Stars or Antique Road Show?

Lol yeah not putting it in coke.

So ive tried a few things (Tried to write with it on paper to make sure it wasnt lead, doesnt look like gold/silver/copper/brass or any of that, strongly resembles pewter but its really dirty).

I think i might take it to this coin/gold/jewlery place by my place and see what the old guy there says.

Yeah ive been reading stuff ALL morning, and everything ive read leads me to think its real. Just seems old and worn down like crazy.

Omg thats a franklin dollar. Not good condition but don't restore it. It's worth a good bit.

I have one also.

I can talk more about it when I get home.

Waiting to hear more on this later

pewter? aint worth jack

Can be worth a few thousand up to 100k+. Read that one sold for 325k but it was in really good condition, but id be cool with anything really lol.

Here's a quick google search on it.

http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/continental_dollars/1776_continental_dollar.htm

The one I have is in pretty good condition, but isn't from 1776. Its from the Sentential 1876 and at least its an original copy, even marked with the word COPY. In this form they aren't super valuable, but still go for a good bit considering what most collector coins go for.

Can you determine the metal type at all? The heavy pitting in the photos kind of makes me think tin or something vs gold or silver.

I think its kinda cool that the coin would have "Mind Your Business" stamped on it. Kind of gives you a clue about the people of the revolution.

Do you know your family history well enough to know if anyone served in the revolution?

Not really, but i know my grandpa (Who gave this too me and said hes had it forever) is 92, and his dad lived to be like 96 and his dad to like 90 something. Also heard they were all close with there dad/family so it could have been in the family since. My Grandpa served and i believe his dad served too, not sure about anyone after that though.

I've never dealt with Allens coins other than work stuff. My wife takes loads of coins there that she picks out of peoples deposits at work. Its amazing how many "more valuable than face value" coins she sells to them. Mostly the older quarters and half dollars.

I've never dealt with Allens coins other than work stuff. My wife takes loads of coins there that she picks out of peoples deposits at work. Its amazing how many "more valuable than face value" coins she sells to them. Mostly the older quarters and half dollars.

I'd say they are the top coin dealer in central ohio. They also have some super high end jewels they make custom jewelry with.

Another for Allen's in Westerville. The guys there are very knowledgable and will be able to help you out figure out what it is and verify the value. If you look to sell it, be aware the coin's value is completely different than what people actually will pay for it.