AMMO info, or not

Mojoe

50 BMG just a few months back was easily had in milsurp for 2-2.50/rd, now you are lucky to find anything decent in stock at under 3.50-4/rd. Typically when it does pop up, it sells out faster than you can add it to a shopping cart and check out.

7.62x54r milsurp was ~65 per 880rd can now that's over 85 per 880rd can in just a few months. There's no manufacturing excuses for milsurp, it's just plain supply and demand. People are panic buying and suppliers are cashing in OR stock is running low. I don't know which really, but i'm truly fighting the urge to jump in because I feel (and hope) it's all panic buying so given time prices will fall back in line.

Without throwing the thread in a spin. Would you PM me a brief "your thoughts" of like or dislikes?

I haven't been against it. Just haven't shot it and would like to know your experience.

heavier grain bullet is better for long distance shooting and makes a better defensive round in urban situations. I shoot Black hills 77gr OTM in my SPR, if I can't find the black hills, I ususally just go to the Hornady 75gr OTM. I also keep a few mags loaded with BH 77gr OTM for when SHTF situations. I really need to start reploading because it gets pretty expensive to shoot those rounds. I also find that I get much better groupings with the 77gr OTM in my 12in SBR, but I am pretty sure that it is because the BH stuff is a much better/consistant load than the XM855 and XM193 that i ususally shoot.

Good read incase if you haven't

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#.223

I understand what a heavier round brings. What I'm wondering is what someone has found with it? Their take of its performance in distance, penetration, and cost. Cost I have seen.

I had not read that before. I have been on both forms a few times and read threads that turned into " my dick is bigger than yours", so I stopped looking on there.

Regardless, very good read. Thanks for linking it.

I was under the assumption that you could only shoot this heavier ammo if you had a 1:7 twist barrel? My m&pT only has a 1:8 twist. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Generally, the rule of thumb is: The heavier (actually, the longer) the round, the faster twist barrel you will need to adequately stabilize it, which leads to increased accuracy. That isn't to say a slightly slower twist will not work for you. In fact, it would probably work just fine and you likely would not notice the difference, especially in a carbine. If you're shooting for groups in a bolt gun, you would likely notice.

The opposite is also true for lighter rounds. Generally, the lighter the round, the slower twist you need. The reason for this is that lighter rounds can actually spin themselves apart if spun too fast. Ask me how I know... :dumb:

Cliff: You could shoot 75 or 77gr. match ammo out of your 1:8 and be just fine. The gun won't implode or anything.

I was under the assumption that you could only shoot this heavier ammo if you had a 1:7 twist barrel? My m&pT only has a 1:8 twist. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's not a matter of whether the weapon will shoot it. It's more of a what purpose are you using it for? Then comes zeroing the weapon for the heavier ammo. 1:7 has shown to stabalize the heavier grain ammo and be accurate. 1:9 still does a good job, but at a certain distance the rounds tumbles. I'll have to see if I can find where I got that info from and link it in. The heavier the grain the more punch on impact. The shorter twist gets the bullet cutting threw the air, if you can say that. Therefore, it's more stable, farther. That's the nut shell version.

heavier grain bullet is better for long distance shooting and makes a better defensive round in urban situations. I shoot Black hills 77gr OTM in my SPR, if I can't find the black hills, I ususally just go to the Hornady 75gr OTM. I also keep a few mags loaded with BH 77gr OTM for when SHTF situations. I really need to start reploading because it gets pretty expensive to shoot those rounds. I also find that I get much better groupings with the 77gr OTM in my 12in SBR, but I am pretty sure that it is because the BH stuff is a much better/consistant load than the XM855 and XM193 that i ususally shoot.

Good read incase if you haven't

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#.223

There is really not much to say as this man has pretty much said it all. The heavier rounds do serve a purpose. I keep some 77gr SMKs and 75gr. A-maxs around for this reason. I don't shoot them very much, but I have on occasion. It just depends on the situation. I have yet to purchase a .223 bolt gun, but when I do, I assure you these heavier pills will be what I use, almost exclusively.

I have my rifle zeroed on Hornady Tap LE 75gr and when buying ammo I plan on stocking up on and having for SHTF I buy 75gr or the next highest grain I can find.

I need to try out Black Hills ammo but I get sub MOA from the Hornady TAP 75gr and don't see it getting any better so I haven't tested it out yet.

Mojoe, does the 77gr you shoot feed through your AR? My buddy was telling me the other day the 77gr Sierra Match King wouldn't feed because it's too long of a round to feed.

You people worry too much. Congress has to focus on this fiscal cliff shit first. By the time they sort that out, the country's emotional impulses will have simmered down a bit. This also isn't 1994 where Congress can sneak something through without us knowing. These days, we know what they're doing before they even do.

Oh, and regardless of all of this, they ALL want re-elected. They can talk a big game, but in the end, nothing will come of it.

Calm your boners.

Thank god not everyone is freaking out