Best Practices for FTF transactions?

gillbot

With CL, they always say to meet in a crowded area for safety. Obviously meeting up for a FTF firearm transaction, you can't pop in to starbucks and flop a rifle onto the table. What does everyone else do? Not to mention if it's a higher priced item, carrying that much cash isn't the best idea. I figure a money order is the safest choice.

Cash is the only way I would do a transaction. Money orders are easily frauded. I have met in a Lowes parking lot and even in a lot behind a Arby's. I take a pic of the person with their ID and the weapon. I would recommend if you have CCW that you are protecting yourself. You can print out a bill of sale or write one up.

I usually only do cash. With M/O there are still fakes out there. When ever I sell a gun, I like to use gun envy and have it transferred to their name unless I know the person or if they have the CHL. Then a crowded parking lot like dicks or Gander mountain something in day light. Dicks and Gander mountain are good idea because if they want to take it out and inspect it, there will be less likely of a chance someone freaking out and calling the cops. I have met a person at the Gahanna Police station's parking lot before to trade a gun. I did feel pretty safe doing it that way, but I don't know how the LEO feels if they saw the transaction.

I have no problem with cash, but that's assuming it's a safe spot to carry the required amount. Unfortunately, I do not have a CCW.

I know there are concerns with money orders but with a USPS MO, you can go to the post office in ANY town and they can verify it in a few seconds.

I thought of asking for a DL and snapping a pic with my phone but I know many are opposed to that. Wasn't sure what other options there were.

and what if it turns out to be a fake MO? You are out of money and your gun.

I'm buying, not selling. I know 100% for certain the MO is legit, since I would have purchased it at my local USPS branch before heading out. :p

EDIT: If I were selling, I'd request a USPS money order then we'd head to the local USPS branch. I'd send them in to cash the MO and bring out the money before handing over the gun.

USPS Money order is a good alternative to cash. They are fairly difficult to counterfeit.

I always bring two copies of a simple firearms bill of sale, check the buyer's ID to make sure they are a resident of the State, and then have them sign the firearms bill of sale. They sign to the fact that they are not a felon and are legally allowed to own the firearm. They also include there DL number and/or address on the BOS.

It really protects both parties and if one of the parties does not want to do this, there is very good reason to be suspicious as the buyer or the seller.

Both the seller and buyer's full information should be on the BOS. The last thing you want to do as a buyer is to purchase a stolen firearm. At least with documentation, you can provide the sellers information if the police come for some reason.

As a seller, you want to have proof that you sold the firearm in case it turns up at a crime scene.

As a buyer, you can bring the BOS for the transaction. If the seller isn't that prepared, he might appreciate your effort and feel more confident that he is selling to a "good guy."

There are lot's of free online forms available...

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=firearms+bill+of+sale&hl=en&sa=X&tbo=d&biw=1920&bih=951&tbm=isch&tbnid=qTJjyZF9zoOUBM:&imgrefurl=http://utah-concealed-carry-permit.blogspot.com/2010/07/sample-firearm-bill-of-sale.html&docid=WHoxU0YJKwwFLM&imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bVfGTWHA7Uc/TFJNdkfzR0I/AAAAAAAAAJM/XgaIY42c9Tk/s1600/Firearm%252BBill%252Bof%252BSale.jpg&w=1179&h=1600&ei=sZzbUI-MG9DOqAGiuoGQCA&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=469&sig=109595912719886163655&page=1&tbnh=144&tbnw=106&start=0&ndsp=70&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:90&tx=65&ty=68

USPS Money order is a good alternative to cash. They are fairly difficult to counterfeit.

I always bring two copies of a simple firearms bill of sale, check the buyer's ID to make sure they are a resident of the State, and then have them sign the firearms bill of sale. They sign to the fact that they are not a felon and are legally allowed to own the firearm. They also include there DL number and/or address on the BOS.

It really protects both parties and if one of the parties does not want to do this, there is very good reason to be suspicious as the buyer or the seller.

Both the seller and buyer's full information should be on the BOS. The last thing you want to do as a buyer is to purchase a stolen firearm. At least with documentation, you can provide the sellers information if the police come for some reason.

As a seller, you want to have proof that you sold the firearm in case it turns up at a crime scene.

As a buyer, you can bring the BOS for the transaction. If the seller isn't that prepared, he might appreciate your effort and feel more confident that he is selling to a "good guy."

There are lot's of free online forms available...

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=firearms+bill+of+sale&hl=en&sa=X&tbo=d&biw=1920&bih=951&tbm=isch&tbnid=qTJjyZF9zoOUBM:&imgrefurl=http://utah-concealed-carry-permit.blogspot.com/2010/07/sample-firearm-bill-of-sale.html&docid=WHoxU0YJKwwFLM&imgurl=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bVfGTWHA7Uc/TFJNdkfzR0I/AAAAAAAAAJM/XgaIY42c9Tk/s1600/Firearm%252BBill%252Bof%252BSale.jpg&w=1179&h=1600&ei=sZzbUI-MG9DOqAGiuoGQCA&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=469&sig=109595912719886163655&page=1&tbnh=144&tbnw=106&start=0&ndsp=70&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:90&tx=65&ty=68

That's my biggest concern right now. Plus the fact that I could be carrying a decent amount of cash.

What's the rule for buying if the seller resides in say Michigan, Pennsylvania or another neighboring state?

I've sold a few FTF guns. I've always asked for cash. I've always carried another firearm on me even thought most of my sales have been with CR jokers. I always try to meet in a crowded parking lot, but someplace that has spaces towards the back that are empty (Home Depot, gas station, McDonalds) All have been quick, easy transactions.