Savage .17 fans

XChris1632X

I have been interested in a savage accu trigger .17 for years. Ever since the first time I have shot one, I have wanted to get one. About this time last year I stumbled upon a thumbhole stainless version at Dicks. It got me hooked. I had instantly decided I wanted a thumbhole stock on the .17 that I bought. Since then I have got ahold of my brothers synthetic stock .17. That and the .22 as well as the .223 have held me over as far as varmit rifles around the house and at the farm. A am really itching to get my own again.

The issue is, the one I saw at Dicks was green-blueish and gray wood laminated thumbhole stock. When I went to Vances to get one recently, they explained to me that Savage only sells the thumbhole from them with the walnut wood colored stock. This caused me to wait. I just noticed Vances has them on sale this month and I want to buy one.

Who made the stock that was on the gun from Dicks? Boyds? Does Boyds make all the thumbhole stocks? I considered buying a non thumbhole for cheaper and just ordering a Boyds stock in the color I wanted. I have heard about Boyds fitment and finish issues.

Well I know there are .17 fans here but no one keyed in on opinions. I couldn't wait any longer and I bought one yesterday. I am done going to Vances until things slow down though. That and I am broke after buying as many guns as I have in the last 16 days.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk251/XChris1632X/Guns/IMAG0737.jpg

Excuse the shitty pic. This was on sale and included this super shitty scope. I really want to shoot it but I don't want to waste time and ammo sighting this in on with this junk glass on top.

So far I only picked up some CCI VMax ammo to try and get a good sight in before I experiment with other ammo. I plan to pick up a Mueller Eraticator to put on top of it.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/440x330/primary/167/167265.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/167265/mueller-eraticator-rifle-scope-85-25x-50mm-adjustable-objective-illuminated-dot-reticle-silver?cm_vc=subv1137750

Not the most elaborate scope on the market but I heard only great things about this scope. Other than that the only immediate plans I have for this gun is a bipod.

This big issue is that I am out of money. My gun fund is well into the red so sadly, I may not be able to enjoy this rifle for just a little bit. Im still open to any suggestions from .17 lovers.

I really feel like a .17 hmr is a need now...

Thanks a lot Chris!

-Erik

Wait until you shoot one. You will be hooked. For a guy that enjoys .22's as much as you do, there is no doubt you will love one. The gun has the manners of a .22 but with a much higher velocity. I think they are great plinking rounds that can also double as a much more effective varmit killing Round than the .22

Nice buy. I've wanted one of these for a while and have been looking at the exact model for a while.

How much did they charge you for it at Vances?

They are on sale right now. It has a sticker on it that says $519.00 but are usually always marked at $419.00. This sale now is the common one with all the savages that includes a scope. It is still priced at $419 but includes a piece of shit scope. Basically is no different because that scope deserves to go in the garbage. Mine will go on my boys bb gun.

Do yourself a favor and budget a good scope into your buying one of these guns. You will not get half the potential out of one of these without a quality small caliber scope installed. There are a whole line of scopes designed for these rifles alone. Many decent ones arent that expensive either.

If you aren't dead set on the thumb hole stock, you can get into a regular synthetic stock with a heavy barrel and a quality scope for a little more than what I have invested in this gun. I'm a huge fan of the regular $299 savages. The exact model doesn't matter much as long as you get a 93 with an accu trigger. Some times Vances will even work with you on upgrading the scope to a good one under the sale.

HMR stands for Hornady magnum rifle. So yeah, they make the ammo

Consider myself educated. Thanks.

Looks great, Chris!

What's the barrel length on that?

I've always been intrigued by .17HMR but have never bought one for some reason. Pretty explosive little round for varmints too.

You know, to be honest I don't know what the barrel length is. If you are ever interested in shooting one and want to drive to plain city your welcome to give it a shot. It wont take much convincing to want to get one.

Consider myself educated. Thanks.

You know, to be honest I don't know what the barrel length is. If you are ever interested in shooting one and want to drive to plain city your welcome to give it a shot. It wont take much convincing to want to get one.

Plain City is just around the corner from me so I'm sure we can get something figured out. Anywhere out there to pop some whistle pigs?

Plain City is just around the corner from me so I'm sure we can get something figured out. Anywhere out there to pop some whistle pigs?

Let me know when you want to come out then. Just give me time to get it sighted in. No land beavers here though. Ive killed them all.