Drag Race Suspension Gurus chime in

GSXRAntwon

I'm looking to buy a set of coilovers for the IS. I haven't corner weighed it but it weighs 3350 and it's approx 55-45 weight distribution according to research and calculation of my swap. What "k/mm" or "lb/in" spring rate would be best suited for my setup, and also for drag racing?

Thats a loaded question, I'm no suspension guru and I beleive that this topic will get all sorts varied response. So many variables will play a role and since I'm sure you want to drive it on the street I think you'll have to pick something conservative and start there. Hopefully the shocks valved close. Desired ride height will play a role so you can store some energy in the springs for weight transfer. Also you're working with something pretty unique.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I doubt you'll get a great answer on CR. If it were me I'd call a few companies that make their living doing this, see what somebody like Midwest Chassis has to say, or some place that does suspension set-ups on those cars. At least a place like that might have some good info on suspension travel and be able to provide a good starting point.

Thats a loaded question, I'm no suspension guru and I beleive that this topic will get all sorts varied response. So many variables will play a role and since I'm sure you want to drive it on the street I think you'll have to pick something conservative and start there. Hopefully the shocks valved close. Desired ride height will play a role so you can store some energy in the springs for weight transfer. Also you're working with something pretty unique.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I doubt you'll get a great answer on CR. If it were me I'd call a few companies that make their living doing this, see what somebody like Midwest Chassis has to say, or some place that does suspension set-ups on those cars. At least a place like that might have some good info on suspension travel and be able to provide a good starting point.

Thanks Scott, I'm deff going to check around before I buy.

Lowest I can find are 10k/mm(F) and 6k/mm®. Equal to 550lb(F) and 330lb®

Sounds like a set of street coilovers designed for a mild drop. have you found any with a good range of adjustment on the damper that you can swap out soem universal springs on? You know like how you can buy different length ad rate springs in 2" or 2.5" diameter. Maybe you could peice something together.

After typing that out it doesn't sound like a good possiblity.

Sounds like a set of street coilovers designed for a mild drop. have you found any with a good range of adjustment on the damper that you can swap out soem universal springs on? You know like how you can buy different length ad rate springs in 2" or 2.5" diameter. Maybe you could peice something together.

After typing that out it doesn't sound like a good possiblity.

Those are 32 way adjustables. I'm looking at the Megan EZ street coilovers now. Problems is, most people who own IS's, don't drag race

Groups like Swift and Hypercoil will make you a custom set of springs for a couple of hundred bucks.

This what I was thinking, but I have doubts on what coilovers that can be found that won't be way over dampened for some soft drag race spring rates. If he's willing to spend $2k I'd think he could find someone to build some.

Id say no way 550 proably not 200. Your main goal is a soft rear with a little more compression than rebound. The ideal drag spring will proably suck for the street though. I know my setup is full drag but for example 3900lb 70/30 weight split 350frontlb/in rear is 95lb/" 12"2.5"coils with koni da shocks. And I could run a lighter spring with more preload. 95s and 110s work well. Most drag cars with coilovers would be under a 200lb spring in the back. Duno if that helps but should be in the ballpark.