Kirby vacuums

351mach11647545510

Not the be all/end all they used to be. Were good vacuums but been eclipsed by better technology.

We have a Kirby that sits in basement storage and two Dysons that get used every day.

Kind of like my old wife who was a big girl but would get the job done with enough pushing or my new wife who is smaller, lighter, more powerful, and only requires fingertip control. :gabe:

I work on vacuums for a living. I sell Oreck vacuums at the Polaris Location.

Kirby's are heavy and overpriced for the quality that they provide. Most people aren't going to use them to their full potential with all of the attachments that you get with them.

Dyson's have decent suction, have the attachments on the vacuum, and aren't too heavy. Most of them don't get under the bed too easily, some lose suction, and they tend to clog easier than Oreck vacs.

PM me if you have any questions. I actually own a Dyson and Oreck so I can easily compare them.

Luke

Jones and I were having a vacuum cleaner discussion the other day at Meijers. The Dyson may perform well, but it is still plasticy and flimsy feeling (much like a GM vehicle I suppose :gabe: ) I have had a Kirby G4 for 15 years or so that has performed flawlessly under heavy use, but it is built like a tank as said before. They are over priced, but can be acquired used for a reasonable price.

For my money, I'll take the stainless steel and iron instead of the Tupperware deluxe.

My mom bought a dyson 5 years ago during a kohls sale and walked out the door with the classic grey/yellow dyson for $179 (they were at the time pushing 4-500, she used coupons as well)

I remember we vacuumed a large carpet we had in our living room with our old vacuum, then did it with the dyson and the fucker half filled up with hair and dust. That sold me on them. Plus the lifetime HEPA filters make a good difference to the overall air quality.

Your job sucks.

I see what you did there.

Funny story.. A Kirby door to door sales person came to my house and gave a starting price of 3k with installments. When I said that was too much she kept doing the fake call to her boss thing over and over until it was at $1200. I grabbed my laptop, went online and showed her a few for $600. She grabbed her stuff and left without saying another word.

I ended up getting one on a sale later on because my wife really liked the demonstration. It is very durable and has lasted for the last decade with no issues. I would like to try a new one but as long as this one works I'll wait.

My job only sucks when vacuums are being used properly. People beat the shit out of them and suck up shit that they shouldn't like socks. They wonder why their vacuum doesn't work right. DUMBASS. The newer Kirby's aren't as good as they used to be from what I have had to work on.

If you hit the garage sales, you can usually find someone tired of moving thier Kirby around and get a good deal. The newer ones have a plastic impeller that can get wrecked if you are vaccuming alot of nuts and bolts, older aluminum ones are indestructable. I have a 500 series from the 60s that I belive will never die. It also looks great when you get boored and have some polishing compund laying around.....

That said, my dyson is so much easier to push around, and has no issue eating drywall dust and cat hair, and can go up steps without the assistance of a crane.