Windows 8

FST94TSI

Microsoft is psycho about installation keys now, if they register two different IP's using the same key they will terminate it (key), then you have to call-in to get it reactivated. Happened to my key b/c I switch computers/MAC addresses so often. Every time i reinstall Windows i have to phone my key in or they wont activate it.

And you don't want Windows8, wait for another PC/Keyboard based Microsoft OS to come out.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Pete, it's me Howard from the lions den. I was working the counter when you checked out. Anywho, How things been going? You ever end up hanging out again with that freshman in high school you were talking about? Nice to finally talk to ya on CR.

Who are you?

My Windows 7 laptop exits sleep mode instantly, who gives a shit about boot time? I tried out the prerelease copy of windows 8 and it was horrible, do not want.

This....

I'll wait 30 or more seconds if I have to if I can avoid the Win8 abortion. I mean, FFS, do you really need to log in to facebook in less than 7 seconds?

You got me curious... 10 seconds

Thinkpad x201 i7 (No UEFI) - OCZ Vertex 4 SSD

Windows 8 boot time is amazing

I just timed mine at 11 seconds. I love that the new bios's support 0 second post. Shoot my main pc only takes ~20 seconds to boot and most of that is wasted on my Raid Controller.

Windows 8 is a little rough at times but honestly I've switched all my main boxes and haven't looked back,.

Fair enough, except!

ME & 2000 were completely different.

I predict -- 8 is to 7 as XP was to 2000 (which was a very good OS). ;)

You're right, but ME was more the consumer-marketed one, right? I think I remember 2000 on school computers around the same time and hated it but I don't honestly remember. Still hated ME either way.

Windows 8 on HP Folio 9470M. Boots in less than 6 seconds. Used a Powershell script to add a shutdown/reboot live tile. I don't like having to enable User access control just so the stupid tiles work. I loaded classic shell so I could get my start menu back but I'm giving the live tiles another try.

FWIW Server 2012 looks just like Win8. Now THAT is dumb.

I don't particularly care for Win 8. Yes, it boots fast, but the "tiled" UI on the desktop is terrible, making it difficult (for me) to find things that were intuitive via the menu structure on earlier versions.

I struggle to see any "improvement" with Win 8.

If I were to do it again, I would have specifically looked for a Win 7 PC when shopping.

Windows 3.11 Awesome

Windows 95 Terrible

Windows 98 Awesome

Windows 2000/ME Terrible

Windows XP Awesome

Windows Vista Terrible

Windows 7 Awesome

Windows 8 Terrible

Yeah, I think I'll wait for the next one.

Your very wrong about windows 2000 it was an amazing os that paved the way for NT on the desktop for home users. You also left nt4 off you list which for the true geeks was a kick ass os