VW 1.8T vs 2.0T

Chief8one

Going back to your comment, go test drive a Speed3. I can personally attest that on long freeway trips, I have done 38+mpg in my roommate's Speed. Also, it's a bit bigger than a GTI, especially the back seat/trunk, and if you care about performance, it comes with a K04 turbo stock, and will kill GTI's stock for stock all day.

I hear good and bad things about the speed3, for instance some are known to bend rods?

School me on the speed3

Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear good and bad things about the speed3, for instance some are known to bend rods?

School me on the speed3

Thanks

The only real "trouble" cars are the early build '07's, 08+ and you're generally good to go. Very conservatively speaking, if you're sub 300whp, you're not going to hurt the rods. My roomate's Speed is an intake/tune (~19psi) car and has been pretty damn reliable. It smokes on occasion, but it seems like a catch can would solve that. Other than that, he did a battery at 90,000 miles and tires and alignment and that's it. My plain-jane 3 was stupid reliable as well, the MZR series of motors are stout.

Just watch out for ragged out transmissions, you'll know right away when you drive it, if it feels like you're driving a tractor, move on to the next car. If you do buy a Speed3, change trans fluid to Redline synthetic, thank me later.

Closer. ;)

135i?

X3?

X5 is highly unlikely but possible, as well as X6 (to find with a manual in the USA unless special ordered with BMW Individual)

in any event, how many miles on it? Has it had walnut shell cleaning done to it yet? If not, you can do it yourself. See the PDF attached in the OP of this thread:)

135i?

X3?

X5 is highly unlikely but possible, as well as X6 (to find with a manual in the USA unless special ordered with BMW Individual)

in any event, how many miles on it? Has it had walnut shell cleaning done to it yet? If not, you can do it yourself. See the PDF attached in the OP of this thread:)

2010 135i w/ M-Sport Package, CPO'd, 12,000 miles. My roommate mentioned the valve cleanings on his 335i with the N54, I will have to look into it.

I tossed around the idea of a speed6. Any opinions?

thanks

It's like a Speed3, but with a lower level of practicality, and performance. The "AWD" system is basic at best especially compared to Audi, BMW, Subaru, etc. The only redeeming feature is that since they were something of a bastard model, you can buy them for stupid cheap. I have seen a bunch for <$10k. Personally, I would in the Speed6 v. Speed3 debate, I would take the 3, it's about 6-700 pounds lighter (the Speed6's were pigs), will be a lot quicker on the freeway, and get much better gas mileage. That, and parts are more readily available should you get in a fender bender or break something.

It's like a Speed3, but with a lower level of practicality, and performance. The "AWD" system is basic at best especially compared to Audi, BMW, Subaru, etc. The only redeeming feature is that since they were something of a bastard model, you can buy them for stupid cheap. I have seen a bunch for <$10k. Personally, I would in the Speed6 v. Speed3 debate, I would take the 3, it's about 6-700 pounds lighter (the Speed6's were pigs), will be a lot quicker on the freeway, and get much better gas mileage. That, and parts are more readily available should you get in a fender bender or break something.

Something to consider and much appreciated.

In CT cars are a lot cheaper than Ohio and a lot are more vehicles are manual.

Also, surprisingly there is not as much rust as Ohio.

*ponders why*

Something to consider and much appreciated.

In CT cars are a lot cheaper than Ohio and a lot are more vehicles are manual.

Also, surprisingly there is not as much rust as Ohio.

*ponders why*

I have noticed a similar trend while perusing through Autotrader, if you open the search results to 100+ miles away, you start getting into PA/VA/MD, etc. cars, and it's a lot easier to find the "enthusiast" versions of a lot of cars.

I have noticed a similar trend while perusing through Autotrader, if you open the search results to 100+ miles away, you start getting into PA/VA/MD, etc. cars, and it's a lot easier to find the "enthusiast" versions of a lot of cars.

Trying to find a mazdaspeed in Ohio is normally hard to come by for the most part. Along with 5 speed CRVs. Here, there is a place that has at least 5 speed3s and 5 speed6s along with 2-3 CRVs with a 5 speed awd.

Honda crew would probably have a hard on for how many 90's civics etc without the rear cancer rust.

Thank you for the response

Honestly, I'm looking for a car that I car travel with cross country, get decent gas mileage and run some autocross events/track events along the way. Reliability is a must and I don't want anything that will be a PITA along the way. Modifications would be minimal if any. I was originally looking at the mazdaspeed 3/6 STi/EVO, but I'm open to anything with four doors.

My job entails going anywhere I want to really, so the vehicle needs to be able to haul at the same time.

Thanks again for responses.

School me what FSI and HPFP means.

thanks

I have a bolt on speed 6 if your interested.....:gabe:

Looks like Jones covered most of it with the 2.0 vs 1.8t. The 1.8t can have a lot of sludge issues if it wasnt maintained well. My 99.5 A4 had a 1.8t and i sold the car with 180K on it running flawless on original engine and trans.

The turbos are going to fail eventually on both the 2.0t and 1.8t just depends on if you warm it up properly and cool it down your going to get much more life span out of them.

1.8t is great for a build (big turbo, 2.0 euro spec head, ect) 2.0t is peppy out of the box and just a tune, exhaust, intercooler, intake will net some good DD power.

6MT all the way with either of these engines

The 1.8T sludge issue seemed to be with the longitudinal mounted cars. I've never seen a GTI/Jetta/Beetle with that issue. Even then using the bigger diesel oil filters seemed to help.

Thats true, only the passats and A4s had the sludge class action law suit. I always used the bigger oil filters as well on my cars.

The 1.8T sludge issue seemed to be with the longitudinal mounted cars. I've never seen a GTI/Jetta/Beetle with that issue. Even then using the bigger diesel oil filters seemed to help.
I see them from time to time here at VW. Main thing don't go 10,000 miles on the oil changes.

Had a 06 2.0T GTI and now a 13 2.0T CC. Real world mileage is way better then sticker. My first tank on the CC got 500 miles. My GTI always got over 400 a tank. 2.0T and VW is superior to Mazda in my opinion if you are a person who takes care of their ride.. My GTI I always changed at 4k or 5k depending on how hard I was driving. Im taking it easy on the CC and im going to try to wait to 10k but probably do it at 7 or 8k.

Had a 06 2.0T GTI and now a 13 2.0T CC. Real world mileage is way better then sticker. My first tank on the CC got 500 miles. My GTI always got over 400 a tank. 2.0T and VW is superior to Mazda in my opinion if you are a person who takes care of their ride.. My GTI I always changed at 4k or 5k depending on how hard I was driving. Im taking it easy on the CC and im going to try to wait to 10k but probably do it at 7 or 8k.
Don't push it. I would do the 5K max!

Absolutely no need for someone who gets 400 miles per tank in a GTI and 500 in a cc to do 5k synthetic oil changes. The 1.8t sludge was due to 10k conventional changes. There are countless 2.0t oil analysis threads out there. 5k is overkill for the average driver.

Absolutely no need for someone who gets 400 miles per tank in a GTI and 500 in a cc to do 5k synthetic oil changes. The 1.8t sludge was due to 10k conventional changes. There are countless 2.0t oil analysis threads out there. 5k is overkill for the average driver.

Sounds like he is doing 45mph everywhere...