Cognac Drinkers of CR?

thorne

Cognac is by far my favorite Spirits! I've had the pleasure of tasting a few brands and have my favorites, But something I've been told is that there are some smaller houses that make really good Cognacs, I just don't know where to start. My last attempt at asking the guy behind the counter was a waste of $50.

Since I recently polished off my bottle of XO I'm looking to pick up another higher end bottle (150?) and a regular bottle (50). So any suggestions on where to go and brands / makes to try ???

My current Cognac score card so far.

Hennessy VS ~$30: To rough for my taste, I'll mix it with coke.. But that's not what Cognac is for

Hennessy Privilege VSOP ~$50: This is my normal choice due to price, It's got allot of flavor while still goes down smooth.

Martell VSOP ~$50: I recently picked up a bottle of this per the gentleman behind the counters suggestions. I was very dissatisfied with this Cognac. It was really sharp and reminded me of Hennessy VS if it was served HOT. I ended up mixing it.....

Hennessy Privilege XO ~$150: I'm really a fan of the after taste of this Cognac. Like a waltz of flavor on your tongue. This was my last high end bottle

Remy Martin XO ~$170: A friend introduced me to this and it had a wonderful taste. It's got a Spicy Aroma but still was very smooth taste.

HOLY CRAP

http://www.hitimewine.net/product.php?productid=24787

$5000

Production

The cognac is manufactured using wine grapes from the Grande Champagne territory of Cognac, France. It is blended from 1200 eaux de vie, from 40 to 100 year-old. It is aged in tierçons (oak barrels that are several hundred years old) in its own cellar.[citation needed]

On June 15, 2011, the cognac house launched a Jeroboam bottle of Louis XIII.[1]

Louis XIII LE JEROBOAM is four times the capacity of the regular LOUIS XIII. Eleven pounds of crystal are gathered, blown and shaped to create the decanter. Each decanter is individually numbered. The Louis XIII LE JEROBOAM collection is only released in very limited quantities each year.[citation needed]

[edit]Value

A 750 ml bottle of Louis XIII may be priced as high as US$8,000; the average price range is $1,900 - $2,500.[citation needed] "Louis XIII Black Pearl" is a limited edition cognac individually numbered from 1 to 786 in Baccarat dark crystal decanters.[2] The 2008 edition sold out within two months.[3]