Free float barrels and gas blocks??

Putty

So I guess my upper does not have a free float barrel. I am in the process of getting the barrel cut from 16" to 10". Doing this I would need a railed gas block. Once it's done I want to put a MBUS flip up front, which would have to sit on that block. Magpul does not recommend this placement nor does a lot of people on forums...Heat and plastic.....well you get it.

Also, the railed block look I am not a fan of. What options do I have?

So I guess my upper does not have a free float barrel. I am in the process of getting the barrel cut from 16" to 10". Doing this I would need a railed gas block. Once it's done I want to put a MBUS flip up front, which would have to sit on that block. Magpul does not recommend this placement nor does a lot of people on forums...Heat and plastic.....well you get it.

Also, the railed block look I am not a fan of. What options do I have?

I hope you mean free floating rails? I don't think any ARs comes with free floating barrels.

Option 1-low profile gas block, Free floating rail and magpul sight on top of the free floating rails.

Option 2-Get a gas block and metal flip up sights from ARMS, GG&G, Troy, KAC, etc.

Option 3- Keep your A2 front sight. Who said you needed a railed gas block? Cheapest way to go IMO.

I wouldn't cut the barrel down anything below a 10.3-10.5in if you have a carbine gas system. If you have a midlenght, I wouldn't go below 12.5in. This is because you would need need some room for the bullet to trave down the barrel to build up gas pressure to operate the BCG.

If you go with option one, there are rail systems out there that utilizes the standard barrel nut, like the DD Omega, Troy MRF/ Alpha/ Bravo, some MI rails, Centruion Arms(my fav) which makes things easier.

It sounds like whatever hand guard he is using will extend over his FS as it sits now so, he wants the gas block with a rail to put his flip up on.

What rail system will you be using?

With my MOE Grip if you cut the barrel to 11.5" everything would sit on there perfectly with no room left to cut. I would just need to change it over to a carbine system instead of mid length.

I hope you mean free floating rails? I don't think any ARs comes with free floating barrels.

Option 1-low profile gas block, Free floating rail and magpul sight on top of the free floating rails.

Option 2-Get a gas block and metal flip up sights from ARMS, GG&G, Troy, KAC, etc.

Option 3- Keep your A2 front sight. Who said you needed a railed gas block? Cheapest way to go IMO.

I wouldn't cut the barrel down anything below a 10.3-10.5in if you have a carbine gas system. If you have a midlenght, I wouldn't go below 12.5in. This is because you would need need some room for the bullet to trave down the barrel to build up gas pressure to operate the BCG.

If you go with option one, there are rail systems out there that utilizes the standard barrel nut, like the DD Omega, Troy MRF/ Alpha/ Bravo, some MI rails, Centruion Arms(my fav) which makes things easier.

What this man said.

1. Why do you need a railed gas block?

2. As mentioned above; make sure you leave enough barrel so you don't fuck up your dwell time. Relocating a gas block isn't very fun and neither is throwing a barrel into the trashcan because you cut it too short and now your gun won't cycle.

3. There's really no advantage to a free float rail on an SBR as you aren't going to be shooting any significant distance that you would notice any barrel torque. Get whatever you like best.

Also, if you are in possession of this cut down barrel before your nfa request gets approved without a lower set up in a pistol configuration then you can be arrested for constructive intent, which is the same as being in possession of an unregistered nfa weapon. 10 years in prison. You may want to hold off to do some research and wait for your approval

Here is my gun....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/CLovaR1/IMG_1068.jpg

This is the look I am going for with it becoming an SBR.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/CLovaR1/02-088-07206ul_1_zps175f4b52.jpg

I said free float barrel because the person that is doing the work said that to me.. This is what I was told....

"No, that one will not work. It does not look like you have a free float barrel. If you do, I cannot tell in the picture you sent. Those low proile gas blocks will not work with a standard rail set up, they must be used with a free float. You need a railed gas block"

I sent this pic asking if this is what I needed to buy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/CLovaR1/4a124a4e0e708c2eee7efe1755cb4375_zpsc1fd2593.jpg

I basically want my barrel cut just behind the A2 sight and have it look like the above pic.

Also, if you are in possession of this cut down barrel before your nfa request gets approved without a lower set up in a pistol configuration then you can be arrested for constructive intent, which is the same as being in possession of an unregistered nfa weapon. 10 years in prison. You may want to hold off to do some research and wait for your approval

Thanks....I was told that. I will keep the parts in separate homes until I get my stamp.

gimme a sec to take a pic of mine

Thanks!

Who are you using to do this?

Gun Envy

and yes that low profile gas block is what you want if you are looking for the rail to go over it.

He says it won't, you say it will. See the confusion I have?

Something like this would work. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/LaRue-Tactical-Low-Profile-Gas-Block-LT-202-p/larue%20tactical%20lt-202%20750.htm

Low profile is low profile. They make them for this specific reason, to fit under your rail.

That there would work but I don't see it being any different than the low profile you have pictured.

The free float hand guard is just so you don't have parts touching your barrel so that the low profile gas block will actually fit under it.

I think he's saying what you want won't work with your current hand guard, and I think he's right.

If you get a free float rail you won't have anything between the rail and the barrel and the low profile gas block would work.

If you want to keep your current hand guard then you would need a railed gas block to put on so that you could put your flip ups on it, it would just extend out past the rail like I have pictured above in one of my first posts.

Just make sure you have:

Low profile gas block

Free float hand guard

Carbine Length system

I don't know if you're going to change your flash hider out. If you're looking to add a suppressor and use one of the QD like AAC makes, be aware that they drop over your barrel some. Keep that in consideration when cutting if that's something you're looking at doing down the road.

Edited by Radio Flyer

Then why did the gunsmith tell me otherwise? I added his comment above.

Ritter probably didn't understand what you wanted to do. He probably thought you wanted to use current rails that you have on there and put some flip ups up front. If that is the case and you didn't have free floating rails, that is the only way to to do it. But you do have free floating rails. Those look like Samson Mfg STAR-C, which is a 7in free float. But I can see where he was confused since you had some cheapo UTG rail covers on there. That DD MK18 upper utilizes the DD RIS-II MK18 rail system and a 10.3in barrel. It is what the military uses as the MK18. you can use any 9in or 10in FF rail system to make yours look similar. I suggest the 9in because then you can use a suppressor if you want.

Something like this would work. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/LaRue-Tactical-Low-Profile-Gas-Block-LT-202-p/larue%20tactical%20lt-202%20750.htm

Low profile is low profile. They make them for this specific reason, to fit under your rail.

That there would work but I don't see it being any different than the low profile you have pictured.

The free float hand guard is just so you don't have parts touching your barrel so that the low profile gas block will actually fit under it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/240297/sadlak-low-profile-gas-block-ar-15-lr-308-750-inside-diameter-steel-matte

this would work just the same. I don't see the $$ to go for nice gas blocks unless you just have money to blow.

I think he's saying what you want won't work with your current hand guard, and I think he's right.

If you get a free float rail you won't have anything between the rail and the barrel and the low profile gas block would work.

If you want to keep your current hand guard then you would need a railed gas block to put on so that you could put your flip ups on it, it would just extend out past the rail like I have pictured above in one of my first posts.

Just make sure you have:

Low profile gas block

Free float hand guard

Carbine Length system

I don't know if you're going to change your flash hider out. If you're looking to add a suppressor and use one of the QD like AAC makes, be aware that they drop over your barrel some. Keep that in consideration when cutting if that's something you're looking at doing down the road.

Can you attach a link to such a gas system? Good thinking on the suppressor....so I should get a 9" rail on a 10.3 barrel.

Who did you talk to? He probably didn't understand what you wanted to do.

John. Over email. Nice guy.

I have a free float rail...dunno why cutting and redoing the gas system won't allow me to use the block above. Only issue I see is my rail being too short and me having to get a 9".

Ritter probably didn't understand what you wanted to do. He probably thought you wanted to use current rails that you have on there and put some flip ups up front. If that is the case and you didn't have free floating rails, that is the only way to to do it. But you do have free floating rails. Those look like Samson Mfg STAR-C, which is a 7in free float. But I can see where he was confused since you had some cheapo UTG rail covers on there. That DD MK18 upper utilizes the DD RIS-II MK18 rail system and a 10.3in barrel. It is what the military uses as the MK18. you can use any 9in or 10in FF rail system to make yours look similar. I suggest the 9in because then you can use a suppressor if you want.

I figured it was more me explaining incorrectly than him being wrong. Thanks! I'll strip mine off and sell it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/240297/sadlak-low-profile-gas-block-ar-15-lr-308-750-inside-diameter-steel-matte

this would work just the same. I don't see the $$ to go for nice gas blocks unless you just have money to blow.

I'm with you there and will probably get this.. I'm starting to wonder if simply buying a 10.3 barrel, 9" rail and gas system would be the best route.