283 MPH Ford GT - Standing Mile

Fubar231

Ok, kinda curious here. What about the Ford GT makes it such a popular Mile car. There are so many crazy Lambos out there, the GT-R is popular for tuners, and there are other popular modded cars out there. In most forms of sport like this the FGT is kind of a footnote. But when t comes to Mile cars, the FGT seems to be pretty popular. What about the Mile suits the GT so well?

Ok, kinda curious here. What about the Ford GT makes it such a popular Mile car. There are so many crazy Lambos out there, the GT-R is popular for tuners, and there are other popular modded cars out there. In most forms of sport like this the FGT is kind of a footnote. But when t comes to Mile cars, the FGT seems to be pretty popular. What about the Mile suits the GT so well?

May be the shape? Aerodynamic plays a huge role at that speed. And 283+mph in the mile is fast, but if this sport keep getting bigger, the prize money and the sponsor get more "interesting", 400mph will not be too far away.

Old, and still debated as there is little information about this pass. Many are still calling BS even though Guinness was involved.

+1

I'm not agreeing that he did/didn't do it but there are a lot of questions about his runs that are unanswered. Odd that he did this at his OWN PRIVATE track and racing organization.

He hasn't backed it up anywhere but his home/personal course...

I just know that he claimed to go 260mph+ in Florida and the very next event he came to Texas and struggled to go 220+.

Guinness is usually very strict about this stuff.

Yes, but there is no real evidence of the event, the measurement tools used, the course used...ect. High school kids get more good video than this.

The car NEVER performs elsewhere-so it’s easy to question a car that is in the 220's in Texas miraculously go 283 in another location.

Yes, but there is no real evidence of the event, the measurement tools used, the course used...ect. High school kids get more good video than this.

The car NEVER performs elsewhere-so it’s easy to question a car that is in the 220's in Texas miraculously go 283 in another location.

Is the other location a high altitude area vs English town (sea level)? Curious as to what is better, low altitude makes more power because of more dense air, but high altitude is easier to cut through. I would guess with a forced induction car at high altitude would be better. Even more so if it had a bottle of NO2 to make up for less oxygen maybe?

Is the other location a high altitude area vs English town (sea level)? Curious as to what is better, low altitude makes more power because of more dense air, but high altitude is easier to cut through. I would guess with a forced induction car at high altitude would be better. Even more so if it had a bottle of NO2 to make up for less oxygen maybe?

That would also cause a lack of downforce...

There is a lot to consider there.

You're making less downforce, but you're also making less lift. The aero balance should be the same.

It makes sense in theory, but I am not sure this would equate in a real-word scenario as the down force the car produces should be exponential compared to lift. Total down force would be affected negatively-in theory.

It makes sense in theory, but I am not sure this would equate in a real-word scenario as the down force the car produces should be exponential compared to lift. Total down force would be affected negatively-in theory.

I am with JP on this, there just is not enough of the back story to really bite on this.

283 is far and above the current mile holder is it not?

50 mph tail wind?