If a car is $3200, what should one expect to pay for tax, title and 30 day tag?

Browning

yea I knew that affected it. I don't know this guy so doubt he'd do that. Says he can do tax title and 30 day also if I dont want to deal with the bmv.

He can't handle that for you. If you pay him that money, you're not likely to get it back. Pay him the $3,200 and let him hand you the signed over title. Best place to do the transaction is at a car dealership. If you know someone that works for one, do it there. Should be a notary around during all showroom hours and someone in the place should be courteous enough to help you out. I've notarized >100 titles for people that aren't buying cars from us and never charged anyone. One guy was cool enough to go get a six pack at the gas station.

Do it personal, meet him AT the title office. Walk in there having already agreed upon what price you are putting on the title so they don't throw a fit about it. I've been audited on a car sale before, where the buyer insisted on putting some ridiculous price on the title - needless to say I was honest when the state came asking later. Also walk in there knowing the exact odometer reading.

With the notary watching, the seller will sign the title (not before, and he should know this if he works for a dealership), put down mileage and price and confirm if its true mileage and if it's a salvage title or if it was ever a rental or taxi. Once he has filled all that out the notary will sign and stamp it and charge their fee. Then, you put your info on the title and the title office will print out a brand new title in your name, which you take to the BMV to get real plates so you can save your $15 for not needing temp tags.

If you *need* temp tags for whatever reason, you can have any notary do their part instead of going straight to the title office (going to the title office makes it easier) but the title still needs signed in front of the notary. Once the seller's info is done, you put your info on but don't get the title put in your name yet. Go to the BMV and ask for a temp tag for that title, then you take the title to the title office and have it put in your name. But it's easier to skip the temp tag altogether.

Or if you trust the guy, ask him if he can have his guy at the dealership notarize it for you, have him put down all of his info, and leave the buyer info open and you can fill it out by yourself at the title office. When I sell a car I generally have the title signed and notarized before I even find a buyer. This way when someone wants to buy it there's no fucking around, just hand over keys, title and get cash in return. The BMV and title office won't notarize it for you if you don't have the buyer's info ready, banks generally don't like to either but YMMV. Other notaries usually don't give a shit so long as they watch the seller sign it.

Flipping titles is a matter of waiting forever in line then spending 5 minutes chatting with the girl taking care of you. They will tell you what to fill out and where. It is such a simple process that you really shouldn't have him do it for you and charge you for it, unless you simply aren't able to get to a title office for whatever reason.

More things you can do to save a few bucks:

- By not getting a temporary tag, you will save the $15.

- If you have a valid license plate, BMV can transfer it over; however the name on the license plate and the name on the title must match. This may save you up to $50 until the plate expires.

- If you register it in a county that doesn't charge additional registration, you may save up to $15 annually. State always charges $35 annually.

- Put the address in the title where the county has a lower sales tax, i.e. the county that Lancaster is located (is it just Lancaster Co ? CMIIW) charges 6.5% sales tax, but Delaware Co charges 7.25%.

decided to walk on it. Ran great rode great but once warm the oil light came on a few times when coming to a stop. Oil was full but thin and dripped off the stick. Also, had some goop under the oil cap that looked like oil would if there was a blown headgasket. Dude said it was condensation. Oil on the stick didn't look bad, just old and thing but we walked any ways.