Wideband 02 sensor placement (NO CATS)

hpfiend

Hey all-

In preparation of some spring tuning of the gremlin I have acquired a wideband setup. The instructions say that it should be mounted above 3 and 9 oclock in the pipe (to avoid condensation) and near the catalytic converter. I read some people run them in header collectors but I think that is for non-heated sensors? I also have read that people use the exhaust clamp and run them in the tailpipe and are accurate except for idle readings...

Soo.. in my carb, non cat, 355 sbc, can I put it as far back in the mid pipes as is convenient or is there some reason to stay near the a collector? Staying above 3 to 9 and screwing it in and out could be quite difficult unless I cut a hole in the floor panel up close to the collector.

The key to an accurate wideband is not to have exhaust leaks. I have been on a dyno with the dyno's wideband at the end of my tailpipe, and mine is in the collector (no cats) very little difference in reading maybe 2% if that. Given the inconsistancies you can run into simply because the weather changes you're fueling can change more then that. I think anybody worried about more then exhaust leaks is reading too far into it. There is a point to be made about how the factory places their sensors relative to the exhaust pulses in the pipe to get the best readings in relation to the converter, but this is impossible for the average person to figure out and really doesn't have much of an impact in your case.