GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition and Customer service

Mojoe

I went to an event with a GoPro booth. I gave my info for $100 off voucher in the email. Email came and I order the Hero 3 Black edition. Got it in the mail and opened it up. Powered on and then died. So I plugged it in to charge it. Red light was on for 15 minute and went out. I thought that was pretty quick for a charge, but ok. Push the button and hold, it won't power on. I try this endless time’s, and nothing. I call customer service and walk through with them. The guy tells me “if it doesn't power on tomorrow, we will replace it". WTF? I said I was calling NOW, because it's not powering on. He says he will email me a RMA return voucher. Three days, and no RMA. I call again and he says he's waiting for me to send him the serial number and the receipt. He never said anything about that the first call. Well now I'm 100 miles from the camera. So I email my invoice for my order and ask if it will work because that's all I have. No reply for 2 days. I call again to see what's going on. He says he's waiting for the serial number on the camera. I said I'm waiting to see if the receipt was ok still. He said it was ok and to send the serial number. So I do and then the RMA is in my email. However, it's just for the camera. I call again and talk to a different guy. I said, shouldn't the battery go too, since it is the power source. He agrees and alters the RMA. Then tells me once I ship it to email him the tracking number and he can have a replacement shipped to me before they actually get mine in. I'm thinking that's pretty cool. So I email him a picture of the receipt with the tracking number and write the number in the email on Feb 27th. I call today to see that he got the email and tracking info. They tell me that's not a real tracking number. I insured it, and the tracking info is printed right on the slide of the slip. I ask the guy if he is looking at the picture and sees the number on the slip and he says yes. Then he tells me I'm best to call the post Office and get the tracking number from them. DAMN IT!!!!

So I call the Post Office, who has about the worst automated call process ever. Finally, I get a person on the phone and gave her the tracking number. She tells me it was delivered to GoPro on March 1 at 12:45. You have to be kidding me!!!

I call GoPro back and talk to, a 3rd or 4th guy. He pulls up my info and says the tracking number is no good also. I tell him it’s already delivered and they have signed for it. He tries again and adds “US” to the tracking and it shows up in the system. He say’s I’ll ship that right out, check your email for the shipping order coming back to me. I check it, and there’s no battery included. I call AGAIN. I asked why it’s not on the new shipping invoice. He said it was over looked and he will make the needed correction for me to receive everything ASAP.

I felt like I was talking to people who didn’t want to be on the phone. Who didn’t know how to do their job, or think past what was directly in front of them. Incompetent is really all I can say. With the exception of one the guys, whose name is Bret.

I have two days on the track in Florida this weekend. This damn camera better be he before then.

Cliffs:

Ordered cam form GoPro

It won't turn on

Huge pain getting info to ship it back

Bigger pain once it was sent back

GoPro ships replacement and screws up by not including the battery

GoPro customer service is not very customer friendly.

I have had a GoPro Hero for quite some time and was very happy with it. I'm hoping this is an isolated issue. But if anyone else has to go through this, or has gone through it, I would like to know. I like doing good business. And for lack of better words, it just feels good. I don't feel good on this right now and I'm pretty heated about how they handled it.

Please let me know how yours works out, Kyle. Thanks

Sorry to hear about that. I bought a Hero3 silver and haven't done much other than the initial setup and playing around with the phone app (which is sweet BTW, check it out if you haven't). Hopefully I won't have any troubles this spring when I go to use it regularly.

I've been hearing so many horror stories about the Black Edition that i've decided to hold off on a purchase for now. Many that I know jumped on the black then returned it for a silver later. They said the black just wasn't ready for release and it needs to mature a little. Since the silver is based on the previous gen, it's more refined and better overall.

• 4 weeks later...