500 RWHP ws6

GilbWs6

So I can't sleep and I've been up all night looking at goodies. I got a nice tax return that I wasn't necessarily planning on and I think I'm going to start building a new engine over the next year. As the title states, what would be the best "recipe" bang for the buck to get to 500? My thoughts are a 402 with 10:1 or 11:1 compression with a 102 mm intake & tb. Probably would have to throw a little juice at it too but would like to get as close as possible without any power adders. I already have all the bolt-on's. I know I'm going to have to upgrade the rear end and suspension. Just need some advice.

Haven't really set a budget yet but it will probably be between 5,000 and 8000. Not sure it can be done but I'll give it a go. Most of the labor will be done by me and my dad. I'll have the rotating assembly done somewhere and most likely do the rest ourselves. This is my first real project (other than basic bolt ons) and I'm really just trying to get a game plan together.

Do you want to go fast?

Yes, please.

Seems to be the general consensus is keeping the stock bottom end. I really want to avoid turbo/supercharger and if I go with juice, keeping it under a 100 shot. Keeping it as pleasant to drive under normal driving conditions is important too as I drive it to work (44 miles each way) about 6-10 days a month when the weather is nice.

Yes, please.

Seems to be the general consensus is keeping the stock bottom end. I really want to avoid turbo/supercharger and if I go with juice, keeping it under a 100 shot. Keeping it as pleasant to drive under normal driving conditions is important too as I drive it to work (44 miles each way) about 6-10 days a month when the weather is nice.

My car made 451rwhp/404rwtq with just basic bolt ons, ported stock heads an a cam. You can do the math for what it made with the spray (100,125 and 150 shot). Go to Texas-Speed.com or WS6store.com for some solid parts. If your car is an 01-02, you do not need to upgrade the intake manifold. The LS6 is fine. Here's a basic list...

SLP lid

1 3/4" LTs

catless Y pipe

Electric cutout

Catback

Ported stock heads (cheaper)

Mild to aggressive cam

500-700rwtq clutch

Tick master cylinder

Gears (3.90 or 4.10)

Tire (MT ET Streets proffered)

39lb ford racing injectors

255lph fuel pump

LS2 timing chain

85mm truck MAF (cheaper)

Wet kit

I'm sure I'm missing some things....but that should help you get started.

So many ways to get around 500rwhp. I like the idea of a stroker with a nice set of heads and matched cam, should get you over 500.

If you want to shoot the shit about it, walk next door to my shop and introduce yourself.

So many ways to get around 500rwhp. I like the idea of a stroker with a nice set of heads and matched cam, should get you over 500.

This is the route I really want to go. I just think it will be more reliable and I'll be happier with it in the long run. Plus if I can get an LS2 or LS3 short block through the dealership/GMPP, stuff it with a nice cam and a set of heads, I'd consider that my best route. Wouldn't really need to upgrade the internals since I'm not adding boost or a ton of spray.

If you want to shoot the shit about it, walk next door to my shop and introduce yourself.

Once the weather gets a little nicer I'll swing over there. Hell, all of my sales guys that are smokers go over to Byers property behind our dumpster to smoke anyway since we are now a "smoke free campus".

This is the route I really want to go. I just think it will be more reliable and I'll be happier with it in the long run. Plus if I can get an LS2 or LS3 short block through the dealership/GMPP, stuff it with a nice cam and a set of heads, I'd consider that my best route. Wouldn't really need to upgrade the internals since I'm not adding boost or a ton of spray.

I'd leave the bottom end stock if you're only shooting for 500rwhp. IMO, no need to go with more discplacement or forged internals unless you're planning on adding boost (kinda like what you said). I feel like if you do a motor swap, you'll be dumping tons of money into something that you don't really need. The LS1 is a very strong motor with a powerful bottom end and if I'm reading your profile correctly, you have an 02 WS6 which come with better rod bolts than the 00 and earlier model LS1's = supports more power. Do what you want, but I'd just keep the stock motor and stock bottom end if you're only goal is 500rwhp with a little spray.

Just in case, who is Chad?

ON3PERFORMANCE. Really unless you just want that lopey idle there is no reason not to go turbo or supercharger. Best money spent for power on tap in my opinion. And unlike nitrous there is no bottle to worry about getting heated for correct pressure or refilling of tanks. Boost is the gift that keeps giving.

ON3PERFORMANCE. Really unless you just want that lopey idle there is no reason not to go turbo or supercharger. Best money spent for power on tap in my opinion. And unlike nitrous there is no bottle to worry about getting heated for correct pressure or refilling of tanks. Boost is the gift that keeps giving.

As dumb as this sounds, part of me wants an all motor, cackling, lopey monster that pisses off the neighbors. Don't get me wrong, I want it done right, putting down as much power as possible.