5.56x39 and 5.56x45

Forrest Gump 9

If the rifle is marked 5.56 it can safely fire 5.56x45 and .223.

If its marked .223 then it cannot safely fire 5.56x45

And I believe you ment 5.45x39 (its a different round entirely) common to AK74's and the like but sure there are uppers for AR15's for the round too.

While we're on the subject, .223 wylde is another marking that you will find on the barrel of AR's. .223 wylde marked guns are 5.56 safe due to the wylde being designed to withstand 5.56 chamber pressure. 5.56 rounds have a higher chamber pressure because the military brass is typically thicker in the root of the brass near the head when compared to commercial brass.

Regular AR ammo is 5.56x39, but I found good deal on 5.56 x 45. Just wondering if they are interchangeable?

I hope you don't injure yourself.

You need to pay attention to what you're doing. Regular AR ammo is either .223 or 5.56x45 depending on what you're barrel is marked.

The 5.56x39 that you're speaking of is something you made up.

5.45x39 will NOT safely shoot in your AR.

I hope you don't injure yourself.

You need to pay attention to what you're doing. Regular AR ammo is either .223 or 5.56x45 depending on what you're barrel is marked.

The 5.56x39 that you're speaking of is something you made up.

5.45x39 will NOT safely shoot in your AR.

I highly doubt an x39 would even chamber in a 5.56 d/t it being a larger diameter case body.

While we're on the subject, .223 wylde is another marking that you will find on the barrel of AR's. .223 wylde marked guns are 5.56 safe due to the wylde being designed to withstand 5.56 chamber pressure. 5.56 rounds have a higher chamber pressure because the military brass is typically thicker in the root of the brass near the head when compared to commercial brass.

5.56 chambers are larger in dimension, most importantly the "leade" distance. The angle is also slightly different in this area.

.223 chambers are tighter with a shorter leade (more accurate).

The Wylde chambers have different geometry, specifically in the leade, that allow room for 5.56 cartridges but are supposed to be better for accuracy than a 5.56 chamber design.

I know the difference between the two but after a few beers one night I ended up ordering some 5.45 when I wanted 5.56 and didn't realize it until I opened up the ammo can after it was shipped to my house. So make sure you know which one you need they are not interchangeable at all.

If you have 5.45x39 and don't need it. Let me know.. haha :)