Expedition on it's last leg, car shopping, HELP!

OGRE

The trucks tans looks to be in trouble, it's a 14 year old heap of rust, exhaust leaking pile with some other odd problems. I don't want to spen more than $7000 on a good family vehicle. Needs to be a wagon or SUV because of space in the back for a dog. Also 4wd/AWD is perfered.

School me on these frontrunners as i have spent hours tonight looking, new suggestions are welcome.

1. Chevy equinox - as much as i hate GM, but it is the frontrunner, I've seen 05-06 with 90-170k miles on them for $4500-7000. They do come in AWD. Any weaknesses?

2. Jeep grand Cherrokee limited - i'm guessing the I-6 is better than the 4.7? they look great, can find 01-04ish with 100k-200k miles for $3k-6k. Weaknesses? this is more of a 1b. because it is a real 4x4, but i'm so scared of crysler products.

3. Volvo V70- seen a few around, they look nice, available in AWD, and are safe. Most of them are 99-04 most have at least 120k for $4-$7k. offered in 1.8T or 5 cyl N/A i believe, i know nothing about these.

4.another expedition. had my wife informed me the tranny had slipped a couple times before now, i could have fixed the leak and avoided this situation. 99-04 100K+ $2.5k-$6

Nice truck, too rich for my blood, $7k max and i really am expecting to stay closer to $5.5Kish. I really need some info from my brethren here about the vehicles in question so lets please stay on subject.

Any further solicitations should go to PM, where i will happily consider them :)

I'd go with a Grand Cherokee. Very comfy to drive since when they were new they were high end for Chrysler. The I-6 is a great engine, I have one with 250K on it that I'd trust to go on any trip. Sadly the trans/transfer case is out and I am moving to better gas mileage or I'd keep it going. I put almost 200K of those miles on it for work. If your interest in replacing the bad parts I'll sell it to you for more than I can get at the junkyard. PM if interested.

Weaknesses, expect poor gas mileage compared to other alternatives. 17-20mpg

They do have a lot of the stupid Chrysler electrical problems, ie random gauges will go screwy or lights will flash.

Nice truck, too rich for my blood, $7k max and i really am expecting to stay closer to $5.5Kish. I really need some info from my brethren here about the vehicles in question so lets please stay on subject.

Any further solicitations should go to PM, where i will happily consider them :)

I apologize, I thought you said new suggestions were welcome and that fell mostly in line with what you were looking for. I vote expedition. You know what you are getting into, you know what to look for (which is huge on a higher mileage car) and they go for pretty cheap these days.

are v-8 explorer/mountaineer/aviator's as prone to transmission trouble as the v-6's?

Its not as bad, but I have read on forums that when you get above 150k its not uncommon to need a little tranny work. For the guys that tow regularly (cars/boats) they said they notice a delay in 2nd/3rd gear and have to have work done much sooner so thats one thing to look for.

seems the 4runners hold thier value to well for me :)

as far as the cherokee, i heard that the I-6 is a beast but the tranny is weak, and the 4.7L can develop head gasket issues, but has a much stouter driveline, is this correct?

on edit: Also the 4.2L trailblazers?

seems the 4runners hold thier value to well for me :)

as far as the cherokee, i heard that the I-6 is a beast but the tranny is weak, and the 4.7L can develop head gasket issues, but has a much stouter driveline, is this correct?

on edit: Also the 4.2L trailblazers?

Only time the trans is a issue is it has never been serviced if its done every 3 year 36k miles will last for ever. I have 140k on my mine and the only thing I notice if I shift from reverse to drive quickly it will clunk.

2. Jeep grand Cherrokee limited - i'm guessing the I-6 is better than the 4.7? they look great, can find 01-04ish with 100k-200k miles for $3k-6k. Weaknesses? this is more of a 1b. because it is a real 4x4, but i'm so scared of crysler products.

If you are only looking at Grand Cherokee Limited's - they would only come with the 4.7 V8. If you want the I6, you will need to look at the Laredos. Also any with the V8, have more or less, full time AWD, where the ones with the I6 have selectable 4x4.

Good to know found a clean one in gahanna 92 k mi. A i6 2001 . . . but they want 6500. They said the trans had been rebuilt.

Saw a clean mountaineer with 125k but their starting price is 6800 forgot what year it is 01-04

I have very similar needs to you and to replace my 99 4X4 Explorer I will be getting an 01+ Subaru Outback wagon 03+ if I can find one I can afford. The explorer has been great and has 160K miles on it.

I would prefer the H6 as it has no head gasket problems but they are rarer and the 4 cylinder head gasket seems to be more of an issue with the earlier models.

I wouldn't touch another gm product other than the vettes or caddys and if ford or honda made the equivalent I wouldn't buy those either. My z06 has been great but it only has 30 some thousand miles... all other gm products I have had have not been enjoyable in the least.

I have always heard better things about the little cherokee (XJ) they ended in 01 as far as reliability than the grand- isn't the grand plagued with transmission and rear end problems? I would consider an 01 XJ as well but I really want latch seat belts for the car seats and I really liked the Legacy sedan we test drove

I was not a fan of the s60 Volvos we drove either - I know nothing about the v70.

I think I found a good one, just posted today, 99K miles 2002 limited, 4.7L super clean for $5900

http://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/3691267297.html

Things to check.

Leaking heater core

Blend doors for the HVAC.

Leaking power steering lines

Window regulators.

warped rotors

transfer case

blown dash speakers

the 4.7 is a good motor but doesn't take well to poor maintenance. It needs regular oil changes or can have sludge issues. If it over heats it will likely warp a head and cause head gasket issues.

that is about all i can think of right now.

If you are only looking at Grand Cherokee Limited's - they would only come with the 4.7 V8. If you want the I6, you will need to look at the Laredos. Also any with the V8, have more or less, full time AWD, where the ones with the I6 have selectable 4x4.

Not true. You could get an I6 I the limiteds. And you could get a v8 in the laredos.

I have very similar needs to you and to replace my 99 4X4 Explorer I will be getting an 01+ Subaru Outback wagon 03+ if I can find one I can afford. The explorer has been great and has 160K miles on it.

I would prefer the H6 as it has no head gasket problems but they are rarer and the 4 cylinder head gasket seems to be more of an issue with the earlier models.

I wouldn't touch another gm product other than the vettes or caddys and if ford or honda made the equivalent I wouldn't buy those either. My z06 has been great but it only has 30 some thousand miles... all other gm products I have had have not been enjoyable in the least.

I have always heard better things about the little cherokee (XJ) they ended in 01 as far as reliability than the grand- isn't the grand plagued with transmission and rear end problems? I would consider an 01 XJ as well but I really want latch seat belts for the car seats and I really liked the Legacy sedan we test drove

I was not a fan of the s60 Volvos we drove either - I know nothing about the v70.

From what I've researched I will not touch a 2.5L NA Subaru vehicle. as much as I like the idea of a 30mpg awd wagon.

This generation Jeep GC ran from 99-04, and you are correct I've seen ALOT of issues that have been voiced by people with transmissions . . . behind the I-6. A few have had flawless lives to date but everything i'm reading says the one behind the v-8 is steller, It is the same trans that is behind a lot of 5.7 hemis. the older Cherokees are work horses but we really want something a little newer and most of those work horses have ALOT of miles.

so we're going to drive it and see, i'm not afraid to walk away, and thank you for the tips on what to look for Craig.

on edit, the equinox is OFF the table, as is the Volvo.

you mean something like the size of a navigator? :D

no not that big.. i swear our mountaineer had more interior space than the cherokee did... honestly i'm thinking next move will be keep the jeep as a boat hauler and add this to haul kids..in ecoboost fashion of course.. and dropped about 2 inches

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqVHJEIFEk-E5L6gBRLQQ-EgtQ~~_4.JPG