4x4 ford/ guys

boosted98gst

Well today I took the bronco out to some trails by the beach and got stuck 2 times in beach sand crap. Im not trying to spend a lot of money on this truck . What are other options for swapping out decent diffs that's bolt on? New tires and small lift are soon, what are good diff options? Any help would be great. I read a lot of fullsize bronco but im not trying to spend a ton for ARB air lockers and all that.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g127/boosted98gst1998/2013-03-22_16-51-06_410_zps65f918d7.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g127/boosted98gst1998/2013-03-22_16-53-05_479_zps54c72578.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g127/boosted98gst1998/2013-03-22_16-55-35_200_zps7a49f09e.jpg

If you were in the sand that you pictured with the same tire pressure that you appear to have in the truck photo, then you need to serious deflate those tires. If you're not already doing that, you might want to try it before spending the time and effort on swapping diffs.

When I was chasing the blues along the Outer Banks, I would deflate to 15 lbs on the sand, then re-inflate when back on pavement. I spent a week doing that and never got stuck, or even slowed down, in a 4wd pickup which spent the majority of the time in 2wd.

My .02

If you were in the sand that you pictured with the same tire pressure that you appear to have in the truck photo, then you need to serious deflate those tires. If you're not already doing that, you might want to try it before spending the time and effort on swapping diffs.

When I was chasing the blues along the Outer Banks, I would deflate to 15 lbs on the sand, then re-inflate when back on pavement. I spent a week doing that and never got stuck, or even slowed down, in a 4wd pickup which spent the majority of the time in 2wd.

My .02

Good info, yes I did deflate to around 15 to 18 psi around. The truck does fine in the normal beach sand its the stuff in the last pic. You can see my tracks trying to get back onto the tidal level area. Soon as the sand gets around 2- 2 1/2 deep the truck just slugs and stops and wheels start to spin. I will get better pic's on sunday , the deep sandy hills are what kill me. Getting down to the beach is prolly a 250 foot cliff trail that was carved out by a river, towards the end the beach sand over the years blows up the area , easy going down, hard going up. Damn Toyotas are going thru stuff like its cake and im stuck. LOL I already planned tires and a small lift, do you think I should wait and see how they work for me before I look into diffs?

I would. You don't want to spend more more than you have to. There were guys in NC who went as low as 8 psi to get what they needed, but I didn't have to go lower than 15 iirc. Some of the treads are better at digging, whereas the people doing the best had tires with less bite and better at spreading out and "floating" on the sand.

I'm not an expert on any of this--I'm just relating what worked best for me and what I observed others doing.

Yeah on sand you want to float. I have a tacoma with the electric lockers and they really make turning around in the ruts easy.

If the bronco is just a toy you could always get a rear locker or have someone weld it. That works great and I've done it.

That last pic had really loose stuff so even lockers won't help, probably just fat tires and some speed.