PC builders

Ramsey

We are looking to build 2 new machines for work. (cad/design)

this is what we were quoted for just over 2k for them.

- Quad-Core Intel® Core™ i5-3570 3.40GHz 6MB Cache

- Intel® DQ77MK - mATX - Intel® Q77 Chipset - Intel® HD Graphics

- 2 x Crucial 4GB PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3

- In Win Z589 - mATX Mini Tower - 350 Watt Power Supply - Black

- Included Power Supply (Chassis must include power to select this option)

- 1.0TB SATA 6.0Gbps 7200RPM - 3.5" - Seagate Barracuda® 7200.14

- Samsung 24x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer (SATA)

- All-in-One 3.5" Card Reader (Black)

- Integrated Video (Included with Motherboard)

- 22" LED-Backlit LCD - 1920x1080 - ASUS VE228H (VGA, DVI, HDMI) (Speakers)

- Microsoft Wired Desktop 400 Keyboard and Mouse (USB)

- Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 Professional (64-bit) with Recovery Partition

What do you think?

First, 2k for both machines sounds over priced to me.

Depending on the CAD Software I'd consider adding a 3d Card.

You also can build a AMD 8core fx8320 for less then that i5 and it's faster then the i5.

I would also step up to a better monitor at the very least 1920x1200 , But I'd more towards a 2560x1600 Monitor if I was doing cad.

Is that total for both machines or just over $2k for each of them? If it's just over $2k for both that sounds about right. Quick internet pricing (Newegg, Amazon, etc.) put that build right around $926 so you figure tax, the fact that someone else is building it for you, etc. and just over $2k for 2 machines with those specs sounds about right.

At first glance it doesn't seem like you are getting a lot for your money... though I'm not an expert builder. Going out on a limb I think you only really get a deal building if you, or a friend are doing it, or you want something specific that doesn't really exist. There's nothing special in that build and you are paying someone to build it. That's like having a custom, but completely stock exhaust made for your car.

This dell is less $100 less and has a faster processor and separate graphics card.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8500/pd?oc=fxdwpp11m&model_id=xps-8500&

AND it's built and warranted by Dell, so you don't have to worry about how well it's built.

I'm not a designer, I can ask some of our guys, but I would think integrated graphics for any serious design work (3D, FEA, etc) might be an issue.... though if you guys are doing design work you should probably know the correct answer to this issue.

While cost is never not an issue, I would think if you are paying for any real design software, the cost of the PC is really a non-issue in the grand scheme of things.

please esplain? not enough power? cooling?

Janky ass chinese power supply that has no kind of protection what so ever. Will burst into flames if it ever did supply 350watts. The power will not be clean and will cause instability issues.

Yeah. Stay away from Intwin PSU's, get Corsair or PC Power and Cooling. More Ram, and at least a basic 3d card. Integrated graphics are poop. If you are planning on doing anything with multiple monitors, a 3d card will be clutch. If you like, I can price you up something and let you know where it comes out. Ask Wagner or El Karacho if they are happy with my work.

Send me a pm.

Janky ass chinese power supply that has no kind of protection what so ever. Will burst into flames if it ever did supply 350watts. The power will not be clean and will cause instability issues.

That wasmy thought. I would put atleast a 500 watt PSU in those from a name brand company.

This for a CAD station? Lol.....

Needs more ram, as much as you can possibly afford. For goood disk performance you should run an SSD with a separate drive for volume storage.

If you aren't sure, i'd opt for a decent work station class machine from Dell or another reputable builder as a CAD station before this thing.

For 2D drafting I fail to see how the Intel HD4000 graphics aren't sufficient. The HD 4000 is on par with the GT 610 at least.

Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=faItxJ5mEeK0cy4yW5Zg0gMvW5_qZsV3_0_0_0&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16883155670&cm_sp=

I feel like you should be able to build a way better computer for roughly 1/2 the cost your at now, i didnt look around but from my previous experiences building computers that just seems like A LOT. Ive never spent more than 1K on a entire rebuild and always use close to top of the line parts, and always name brand manufacturers (Hell last time i rebuilt it was only $600 but that was because i was able to reuse a lot of stuff). Plus if your doing 3D CAD you NEED a dedicated graphics card. On-board will not cut it.

Obviously as you already know at this point you need more ram, 500w minimum decent quality power supply and a dedicated graphics card. Many of us could build far better for far less but I'm assuming this is through a company not some guy so thus the roughly 25% mark up makes sense.

My wifes AMD six core out benches my I7 960 Ocd

Benches LOL.

Anyway, for shits and since you didn't specify what AMD:

1100T Bench

AMD FX-6200 Bench

i7 960 Bench

1100t vs. i7 965

FX-6300 vs. i7 965

Hardly a fair comparison because they are fairly evenly matched. AMD just doesn't have the power for CAD if you are looking for real performance. Will it work? Yes, is there a better option? ABSOLUTELY.

i7 3930k or i7 3820

or just look for AMD in the top of this chart and see how far down they are. Plus the fact that if you compare the pricing on the AMD parts that are in that top tier, there are better Intel counterparts at similar price points to be had.

I will admit i'm spoiled by my OC'ed 3930k though. It can run anything I could ever throw at it and then some.