Really good chance to see Aurora Borealis tonight

SpaceGhost

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/14/yzubyhe5.jpg

If the clouds move north, we could get a rare treat. Gonna have the kids up late.

Looking at GOES, they are slowly retreating to the north. The clearing line is currently about 30 miles south of the city.

Last time this was close I drove out to buckeye lake away from all lights.

Your also suppose to let your eyes adjust to night time. So you cant go from inside to outside and magically see it..

Im going to try and get some photos tonight, but my guess is we wont see anything

Joe, IMHO, no. Usually the aurora is very faint at this latitude, fainter than bright stars. If you go to a place dark enough where you can see the Milky Way, then you have a chance to see the aurora (on special nights such as tonight).

There's hardly anywhere in Franklin County where I can see the Milky Way even on the clearest,moonless night. Tonight, the moon is a cresent, but doesn't set until almost midnight.

Perhaps your eyes are better than mine, though.

Eta?

It has reached earth, but no real activity yet, Kp is down to 2 now. Next update will be 2am. We are forecasted to get more clouds in later too. Our window is closing. Sorry folks, the activity is just not high enough right now.