Gm Techs ?'s About Charging System 2005 Malibu 3.5

mustangman2011

I have a friend with a 2004 Chevy Malibu 3.5 LT with charging problems. The battery was replaced about 3 months ago. Eventually it started turning over slowly and now most of the time has to be jumped to start it.

They had the alternator checked off the car and it tested ok. With the car running with a volt meter it was barely registering like 12.8 volts. They thought maybe the alternator was going bad slowly so they replaced the alternator.. They also had the battery charged and it tested out good. Any way they went and had it tested on the car and they said was only putting out like 12.87 volts. What else could this be? Thanks

At the battery.

I'd check it at the alternator, excessive resistance between the battery could cause an excessive voltage drop preventing the battery from recharging. Now if the voltage is the same at the alternator the pcm may not be signaling it on or have a broken wire (you know the small wire).

I had them check it they said at idle it was like 13.3 at the back of the alternator and about 13.17 at the battery. Is that normal?

Yeah above 13 is pretty normal, if they turn on all the electrical accessories in the car and it stays over 13 then the alternator and associated wiring should be fine. What happened to 12.8? What voltage do they measure with the car off?

• 1 month later...

Is the battery in the trunk? I had a similar issue, and it ended up being a broken post at the alternative positive under the hood. This is where the alt and battery wires connected. Put my own bolt through them, no more problems.

May want to trace down any loose connections.

Shaun

It's not damp or wet around the terminals is it? Are you familiar with the term "dark current" where a battery can discharge due to a leak or excessive corrsion? I doubt it considering the stuff was replaced, but at this point you might want to restest the battery.