fwd gm transmission help.

pontiacfreak142

Ive got 2 different issues on 2 different cars.

First one ive posted about before on my bonneville. Its a 2000 with the 4t65e trans. The problem started out as a slight howling noise when in park on inclines. I took the car into a chevy dealership twice just to get told they couldnt find anything. Eventually took the car up to brian and scan and it was shifting great. Noise stayed this way for some time. Just drove the car the other day for the first time in a month to discover that the noise has gotten much louder and doesnt need to be on an incline to plainly hear it. Can also be heard slightly from time to time in drive now also. Still shifts great and no codes thrown. Does have some shavings in the fluid from what i can tell.

Second one is my 95 olds 88. Has a fairly harsh shift into 3rd and 4th. You can also hear a slight sound (dont know to describe it, almost like a chirping sound maybe?). Fluid shows full on dipstick and havent seen shavings or anything in it.

If the noise started off while you were in park (and park only) I have a hard time believing it's related to the Trans. Small amounts of shavings in the pan are generally considered acceptable wear, especially in a high mileage transmission.

Second problem sounds like a TCC lockup issue. Most 90's GM's tend to have rough/harsh TCC lockups. Does it shift rough all the time? My 95 Eldorado only seemed to shudder on TCC lockup during inclines/declines.

If the noise started off while you were in park (and park only) I have a hard time believing it's related to the Trans. Small amounts of shavings are generally considered acceptable wear, especially in a high mileage transmission.

Yup, replaced plenty of those, sounds nothing like it. Not to mention it mainly does it when the car is in park

the 2000 bonneville probably has a bad torque converter.

the olds might need some solenoids (PCS and TCC?).

Other than that.. I dont know. I pay someone else to rebuild trannies :)

Never thought about the converter, it did kinda jerk around the other day when shifting to second. Almost like it was locking and unlocking. Has only done that once

Never thought about the converter, it did kinda jerk around the other day when shifting to second. Almost like it was locking and unlocking. Has only done that once

From my experience.. When I did my L67 swap on the Lumina I installed a TC that I got from the owner of the motor. The trans was perfect before the swap. Put in the TC, within 5 minutes of getting the car started it staretd whining bad in park. Took it for a drive, it started banging gears bad and start shuddering when the converter locked up. Then i had my brand new trans flushed/rebuild :(

When I picked up Nates GTP late last year the TC was whining after 30 minutes of driving. Ran perfect though. No banging gears or nothing. pulled the pan and it looked like used motor oil.

From my experience.. When I did my L67 swap on the Lumina I installed a TC that I got from the owner of the motor. The trans was perfect before the swap. Put in the TC, within 5 minutes of getting the car started it staretd whining bad in park. Took it for a drive, it started banging gears bad and start shuddering when the converter locked up. Then i had my brand new trans flushed/rebuild :(

When I picked up Nates GTP late last year the TC was whining after 30 minutes of driving. Ran perfect though. No banging gears or nothing. pulled the pan and it looked like used motor oil.

Mine has only shuddered one time since the sound started a couple months ago. Mines still primarily in park also. After doing a little more searching i did come across a site where someone said there is some sort of drum type thing attached to the first 2 gears in some way, but spins freely in park and may make some growling type noise when it goes bad. Ever heard of that?

The Drum type thing is referred to as the "Carrier" I believe. Based on my limited, slightly educated understanding of Transmissions it theoretically has the potential to make a growling noise when going bad.

I wish AJ (Ex Super Moderator) was still on here, he knew this shit left and right. Maybe Evil8 can chime in?