Another detailing question

Buck531

I've been using Zaino for at least 10 years now. I'm running out and I want to get something different.

Looking to create the deepest black gloss I can. I'm not even sure what to get. I've seen Zaino, Chemical whatever, 22ple?, Porboys, etc.

What have you had the best luck with on dark cars?

I don't plan on using rubbing compound this year. I did it last year and got the swirl marks out. Just looking to create a deep gloss look and that'll seal it.

Should I put a wax on at the end or just leave it with polish? I remember with Z2 That was all I used. Not sure how much things have changed in the last 10 years.

Edit - I also have a White 3m pad along with a black 3m pad and a variable speed buffer/polisher.

I mean to post here the other day and got distractied.

So....if you're happy with Zaino and it's current looks no reason to switch. It's one of the more durable products on the market and is an all around outstanding product.

People's main complaint about the Zaino line (both Z2 and Z5) is that they tend to be very highly reflective and give up some of the depth that natural caranuba based products offer.

Also...despite the fact I love their products I cannot stand their mis-use of the term "polish"...polish should be a product containing an abrasive yet Z2 and Z5 are both sealants and have no abrasive qualities to them. So...for the sake of this argument we'll call them sealants.

So back to sealats vs. waxes. Sealants all tend to be a little more reflective, less deep but will have great durability. Natural caranuba based products contain more oils and tend to have a deeper , darker look than their synthetic counterparts. Downside to the natural products, esp on a black car that sits in the sun, is that their durability leaves ALOT to be dsired....we're talking a life of 6-8 weeks max in the summer. My favorite "show" wax that I always carry with me is a product called Pinnacle Souveran. It's hands down the deepest, darkest wax I've ever used. I pretty much guarantee you it lasts MAYBE 2-3 weeks in the summer on a black car. It's a beauty product, amazing for a quick coat before a show or meet or what not but it's not stellar at protection.

So....if you want it to look it's absolute best...and don't mind re-applying a natural caranuba based product every 2, 4, maybe 8 weeks tops then give one a go. If you're happy with the looks of Zaino and who wouldn't be happy with it's protection and durability then stick with what you know.

Ok.

Should I use say Z2 and then put wax over top of that? I've always just put z2 on there and it lasted a year.

I mean.. I've used Zaino for years. I just noticed there were a lot more products out there and are they better/cheaper than Zaino?

Ok.

Should I use say Z2 and then put wax over top of that? I've always just put z2 on there and it lasted a year.

I mean.. I've used Zaino for years. I just noticed there were a lot more products out there and are they better/cheaper than Zaino?

We'll discuss more tonight. There's no harm in topping Z2 with a wax...however if you go back in the short term and try to put more Z2 on it won't bond. Generally speaking the car's appearance will take the look of whatever the top most layer is. Some of the natural products that use the term "Cleaner" in them have solvents in them that could remove the lower level of protection.

Lots of people will put a sealant down as a base, wait a day or two and then top with a wax and continue to wax on a frequent basis. Best of both worlds that way I guess, protection of a sealant with the look of a wax.

I moved away from Zaino stuff for awhile in my constant quest to not leave well enough alone. I've found some sealants that come really close to the look of a wax (Blackfire wet diamond) but they lack durability for a sealant.

Zaino is spendy...but considering it's durability and life it's not horribly priced.

• 3 weeks later...
Andy, how does the Chemical Guys Black light Hybrid radiant finish compare to the Z2?

I've never used it so I can't really give first hand experience. BUT I've never used a product from Warner Chemicals (Chemical guys, Poorboys, Adams) that I hated. Quality stuff in their lineup.