reef/beach fishing?

hpfiend

Hey all-

Anyone know any tips to fishing off the beach? I have a casting net I play with and can catch little sand sharks, glass minnows and pinfish , herring maybe as well...

A guy at the tackle store told me to hook one of the bait fish through the nostrils (somehow?- I did buy special hooks for it) and cast it between the shore and the sand dune and get read for a wild ride? some sort of jack fish I believe he said? I didn't know what I would bring in so I let the bait fish go but have been thinking about trying it next time we go...

Do I need a special pole or line? I have a cheapie reel not push button but not much better and maybe 15 or 20 lb test some bobbers and weights..

Thanks!

I surf fish alot, the best advice i get is from the local surf fishing boards. You always have them oldschool guys who help out. Just like seasons the baits change colors, locations ect the locals know the best. Btw where are you going?

I agree with boosted.....the locals will help you way more than we can most likely. I looked last year at surf fishing when I went to VA Beach. Never found the time to do it while we were there but I did some reading prior to going down. Most will tell you that you're going to need a surf rod....they're long as hell so you can cast 100 yards or so out. I figured it's fishing and unless you're after a certain type of fish or are making a hobby out of it I'd just get a line in the water. Several years ago I was in Daytona Beach and went down after dark with a case of beer and a rod/tackle set up I bought at wal mart....cheap. Caught a few sharks and a couple of fish I have no idea what they were. Fish are going to eat....just have to get some bait in the water.

St. Petersburg, Fl. Is where we will probably go- that is what I am afraid of (catching a shark). What did you do cut the line once you saw the fin? I will ask again at the tackle shop when we go down - thanks

- that is what I am afraid of (catching a shark). What did you do cut the line once you saw the fin?

Forseriously:dumb:

Sharks are bad-ass, once hooked they go absolutely ape shit trying to get away, they could care less about harming you. Honestly of all the fish to catch from shore/surf sharks will give you the most bang for your buck; they are usually easy find, will eat about anything that's bloody, and will fight to the death.

The only thing to watch out for is landing them when fishing alone, the bigger ones (75-200lbs) are a pain in the ass to drag on shore by yourself. Ten times easier to have a buddy wade out and grab him up by the tail while the fish is in a foot or so of water. Again at this point they are usually worn out and all they want to do is get away. That said still exercise a bit of caution.

Not sure about where to fish in St.Petersburg (I'm more familiar with the Ft.Myers area) but all up and down the gulf coast Sharks should be readily available from the beaches. Trust me when I say catching one will be an experience you will never forget.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=32884

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=34017

Do I need a special pole or line? I have a cheapie reel not push button but not much better and maybe 15 or 20 lb test some bobbers and weights..

Thanks!

The basic Saltwater setup down there is 30lb power pro (braided line) with a 30lb mono leader. If you skimp on the mono leader you'll run the risk of being broken off by any number of species.

If you want to target sharks you'll need at least 80lb power pro, and a 3ft section of wire leader (more to it then that, let me know if your interested). As Spankis said they will slice right through anything other then wire.