Thoughts/Opinions on Mercedes C300?

mrhobbz

So near winter I'm going to jump head first into my mustang build and now I'm looking for a comfy daily. I've become pretty fond of the 08' and newer Mercedes C300's. Has anyone ever owned one or had any experience with them? Trying to decide if I should stay away or not.

I'm looking for something quiet, slow, awd and comfortable.

Yeah they upkeep can become very expensive. It's always a good idea to look at luxury brands that have non luxury cars with similar parts.

Nissan / Infiniti

Toyota / Lexus

Honda / Acura

VW / Audi

My opinion...C Class Benz is built with budget in mind and quality suffers ALOT to hit a price point. This was worse in the early years of the c class but it's still not much better.

Their E class and above models are still troublesome but better quality.

Go A4 or 3 series if you want a small, luxury / sports sedan for a daily duties.

My best friend has a C300...I told him not to buy it, that he'd hate it and within 2 months of buying the thing he was done with it. EVerything from a horribly creaky drivers seat, to fried wiring harness (multiple times) for the tail lights, etc. He is constantly having issues with the car. No car is without faults but I'd stay away from the small benz.

**edit**...the flip side of the used euro sedan argument is that they are an absolute BARGAIN if you snag out outside of warranty and can do your own mechanical work. You can really buy a TON of car for the money. Source your parts through places like RockAuto instead of the dealer and parts aren't that expensive and if you do your own labor they aren't bad to maintain at all. Just do this with an A4 or 3 series not the C.

My opinion...C Class Benz is built with budget in mind and quality suffers ALOT to hit a price point. This was worse in the early years of the c class but it's still not much better.

Their E class and above models are still troublesome but better quality.

Go A4 or 3 series if you want a small, luxury / sports sedan for a daily duties.

My best friend has a C300...I told him not to buy it, that he'd hate it and within 2 months of buying the thing he was done with it. EVerything from a horribly creaky drivers seat, to fried wiring harness (multiple times) for the tail lights, etc. He is constantly having issues with the car. No car is without faults but I'd stay away from the small benz.

**edit**...the flip side of the used euro sedan argument is that they are an absolute BARGAIN if you snag out outside of warranty and can do your own mechanical work. You can really buy a TON of car for the money. Source your parts through places like RockAuto instead of the dealer and parts aren't that expensive and if you do your own labor they aren't bad to maintain at all. Just do this with an A4 or 3 series not the C.

This guy is spot on.

Especially the BMW's unless its an M or a rare model-they depreciate SO hard you can get a killer deal on a3 or 4 year old car.

This guy is spot on.

Especially the BMW's unless its an M or a rare model-they depreciate SO hard you can get a killer deal on a3 or 4 year old car.

Word, I'm still looking into other options I just love the looks of the c300. I'm about 4-5 months out on buying another car since I just invested in the house mod. Luckily my father who has been a mechanic for 40 some years is donating a hefty supply of craftsman tools so maintain whatever vehicle I buy next isnt a huge concern. I don't mind turning my own wrenches. Thanks for the input, going to look into a3/a4s as well

Word, I'm still looking into other options I just love the looks of the c300. I'm about 4-5 months out on buying another car since I just invested in the house mod. Luckily my father who has been a mechanic for 40 some years is donating a hefty supply of craftsman tools so maintain whatever vehicle I buy next isnt a huge concern. I don't mind turning my own wrenches. Thanks for the input, going to look into a3/a4s as well

LOL until you find out you need special tools and the car was never designed to be User supported. It sucks but its true.

LOL until you find out you need special tools and the car was never designed to be User supported. It sucks but its true.

Meh, I do understand specialty tools may be needed. Germans like to be "unique"

It's a nice girl's car. A friend of mine has one and she really likes it. I don't really have anything bad to say about it, but it has a typical Mercedes feel to it that I don't really care for. I prefer Audi or BMW interiors. Oh the turn signal location on the newer Mercedes annoy be, it sits way too low.

Meh, I do understand specialty tools may be needed. Germans like to be "unique"

Honestly all you need is the diagnostic software for whatever vehicle you're going to get. You can get most of them for pretty reasonable money these days...esp VAG-COM if you get an Audi / VW product. STAR for the benz is the most spendy of them all though there are cheaper alternatives

In my 13 years of owning ONLY european cars and maintaining my own stuff I've come across the need for a specialty tool twice.

I thought about getting a C300 instead of the Accent, and that's as far as it went...a thought.

I looked at common problems and maintenance prices even from RockAuto and it wasn't worth it.

Definitely check out an A4 or even an Infinity G35x (I think that is the 4 door one). Much more luxurious and may only be 1-2k more.