WTB: "Spirited" daily - 4k and under

ImUrOBGYN

Looking for a non-soul crushing daily for 4k or under.

1. No convertibles, no vans, no trucks. (This doesn't include suv's.)

2. Prefer a stick but will entertain other ideas depending

3. Must have some utility. In other words, no S2000 or Miata types, for example.

Thanks everyone.

Might want to put has to fit a oger .... just saying.

Mustang GT/Camara/TA

cough dsm if your desperate..

fc rx7

3000gt

Might be able to get a high milage srt4

Edit you said daily umm late 90s early 2000 subie?

E36? I know you probably wouldn't find the cleanest, lowest mileage example in your price range, but it sounds like about what your looking for.

I've been looking at some BMW's, too.

Is there anything your looking for in particular? AWD? Manual? Turbo or NA? Or are you just entertaining all ideas.

I'd seriously prefer a manual. Other than that, just seeing what's out there and available soon.

SVT focus?

I was considering do a search for these but was unsure what my luck would be in finding one not ragged out. May have to do a few searches...

Buy my 95 325i

More info?

Might want to put has to fit a oger .... just saying.

Mustang GT/Camara/TA

cough dsm if your desperate..

fc rx7

3000gt

Might be able to get a high milage srt4

Edit you said daily umm late 90s early 2000 subie?

lol@ogre. Be honest, had an old Mustang before and don't really want the Camaro or the inevitable headaches of the 3000 or rx7. Plus, the RX7 has near zero utility. I have been looking at some Subies.

Lot of good ideas. If anyone actually sees some ads, dealer or private, that are some good deals and possibly meet my hazy criteria, please post them. Thanks all.

What about an older Jetta? I worked on a 2000 vr6 that was "spirited". Some of those look pretty cool- dunno much about them.

You didn't mention it but If you want cheap to maintain, reliable, and somewhat sporty you better look nowhere other than honda or ford with nissan a distant second IMO. Older german cars are fun but you kind of have to be sentimental to put up with them for a daily. What does an early RSX cost?

I dunno about a Civic. Would have to be a really great deal for me to consider it. I'll keep this in mind. Thanks.

Now this is pretty cool. But at 6k plus the cost of going to Cali, this far past my budget. :(

What about an older Jetta? I worked on a 2000 vr6 that was "spirited". Some of those look pretty cool- dunno much about them.

You didn't mention it but If you want cheap to maintain, reliable, and somewhat sporty you better look nowhere other than honda or ford with nissan a distant second IMO. Older german cars are fun but you kind of have to be sentimental to put up with them for a daily. What does an early RSX cost?

I tried looking a bit at some VW's but just couldn't seem to get into them. There are some vw's I do like, but either won't fall into my budget, I can't find a decent one of or aren't daily drivery/utilitarian enough, I guess.

I really can't find a Ford that fits the criteria (budget, utility, personal opinion). Other than a SVT Focus but finding a good one within budget has been hard. Maybe an old SHO... Decent RSX's seem to pan out a little high in cost, too if you can find one that was taken care of. This has been harder than I thought so far. lol As far as Hondas, I wouldnt mind an SI or Integra/RSX, though.

Have you thought about a SVT Contour? I may get shit for this, but the one I drove was rather spirited and fun to drive. Though I have heard that there can be reliability issues, that seems to fall more on the ones that have been ridden hard and put away wet. With your price range you could more than likely find a clean taken care of one with lower mileage. Plus I hear that you can swap in the more reliable 3L motor without too much trouble.

I had an SVT Contour for a few days...it was fun as hell. Quick, handled fair decent for a 4 door, tons of mods available, and luxurious (for that year). Leather, power everything, etc.

Just don't take a turn too sharp...the 2.5L's are known for oil starvation from the head :)

its a nice one. has a few small dents. which if a deal braker I can get them pulled first. going home now to put the new clutch in it. only reason im replacing it is because the throw out bearing makes some noise. drives me nuts. org clutch at 204k still holds like its brand new.

I had an SVT Contour for a few days...it was fun as hell. Quick, handled fair decent for a 4 door, tons of mods available, and luxurious (for that year). Leather, power everything, etc.

Just don't take a turn too sharp...the 2.5L's are known for oil starvation from the head :)

Considered but genuinely concerned about the oil starvation thing. I do quite a bit of twisty back road driving. Even a daily. That big of a deal? I had held off looking at them but I can add it if need be.

early 2000 or so Grand Prix GTP

Do they come in a manual?

its a nice one. has a few small dents. which if a deal braker I can get them pulled first. going home now to put the new clutch in it. only reason im replacing it is because the throw out bearing makes some noise. drives me nuts. org clutch at 204k still holds like its brand new.

Would you mind sending me some pics?

Do they come in a manual?

No, but you will have a tough time finding a better all around car for the money. The motor is bulletproof and the tranny (only common problem I am aware of that is of any significance) are easy to come by and cheap. I loved mine and it was only a GT (no supercharger).

Oh can't believe I almost forgot---

93-97 LT1 F-body! Pro: SLA suspension, good brakes, good engine, great transmission, good stereo (if 10 speaker equipped), more utility than you would think

cons: pretty heavy, weak rear but only if you drag race and many solutions out there- cheap build quality, hard to work on engine, lots of gm quirks (power window motors, t-top seals, headlight motors, but the f-body infobase is huge so the fixes are well documented..

A 1LE model would be best but rare.

My '96 Formula was a lot of fun- the 5.0 mustang was much more fun but I had a lot more money in mods in the mustang.. My brother-in law is 6'7 and he fit in my f-body much better than my old notchback.