How fast, is fassst enough?

99StockGT

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My concern exactly. I've thrown big money after projects in the past only to get it done and hate driving it. I'm not interested in driving something with an all or nothing clutch on the street that wants to yank my face off every time I come off a stop light. This thing is going to get maybe 4k max milage a year during the warm summer nights then get put back in storage. MIGHT do some tracking with it eventually though I'll have to figure out another cooling solution before I go that route.

car manufacturers are pretty smart, in general. when they build a sports car, there is some power/handling/wow-factor left on the table--there always is--but not a ton, or the car stops being reliable/fun very quickly. there are VERY few cars that can withstand doubling the horsepower, tons of weight reduction, handling components, etc, and still be reliable, and function as a car that you will WANT to drive on intermediate (1-2 hour) trips.

pick a car----let's say a c5 vette. imagine you can safely, and reliably add 30% more power===105hp, to make a 460-ish hp car. you can reduce 5-10% weight, to get the car close to 3000lbs, and you can upgrade the handling to make the car still fun to drive on the highway. that's an example of reasonable goals, reasonable budget, yet you keep the car completely streetable. meanwhile, others are bitching about their 600hp motor that overheats, blows up, or constantly destroys everything but a racing clutch--which is then absolutely no fun to drive. with proper maintenance, at that power level, you can get 100k miles out of a car like that.

decide what your goals are. set very clear, reasonable goals.

My wagon @ 370whp is a BLAST to drive. To each there own, imho its not all about HP. After I upgraded the suspension on my 03 wrx my first thought was DAMN i should have done these mods first.

The goals are set, fun fast not terribly over the top expensive. Having never done a turbo 4 build up that's why I'm concerned on the fun factor. While I'm sure 400 RWHP will scream like a rocket down a track it may also be a royal pain to drive to the movies and back.

I'm just being cautious that I don't put thousands in upgrades into this car bolt it all back together and kick myself every day I drive it.

Are you referring to one of those crazy 4s Scoobies? That's kind of cheating but I'll never turn down a ride in something fast ;) The AWD pull in most of those that I've been in is very similar to what I feel in my stealth, there's a 2004 WRX going under the knife in my "Fleet" sometime soon as well which is a whole differen conversation..

You get used to virtually any power eventually.

It's a lot easier to get used to power in an AWD vehicle though, even 400/500hp is put to good use on the street and much easier to stay straight with.

I think a solid 120+ trap car that has all of it's amenities is a great street car IMO.

It's a lot easier to get used to power in an AWD vehicle though, even 400/500hp is put to good use on the street and much easier to stay straight with.

I think a solid 120+ trap car that has all of it's amenities is a great street car IMO.

This man speaks the truth! Once you drive something long enough it feels slow.

The only issue with starting low and working your way up is that you will constantly buy the same parts over and over again if you are trying to keep price somewhat in check. Most obvious thing I think of is fuel system, if you start N/A 300rwhp then eventually get to 600rwhp boosted on e85 you are going to rethink alot and spend alot more. In the end I have had a ton of 500rwhp+ cars and defining fast and the seat of the pants feeling varies from person to person. If I tell someone that my nova makes 1200hp and the fastest car they have been in is a stock VW Golf they have no basis to understand the difference.

Do tons of research and build what you want not what 99% of the internet says, that way you enjoy your work and money spent. And as with everything like stated before...too many mods can make the car not as fun to just "drive".

The only issue with starting low and working your way up is that you will constantly buy the same parts over and over again if you are trying to keep price somewhat in check. Most obvious thing I think of is fuel system, if you start N/A 300rwhp then eventually get to 600rwhp boosted on e85 you are going to rethink alot and spend alot more. In the end I have had a ton of 500rwhp+ cars and defining fast and the seat of the pants feeling varies from person to person. If I tell someone that my nova makes 1200hp and the fastest car they have been in is a stock VW Golf they have no basis to understand the difference.

Do tons of research and build what you want not what 99% of the internet says, that way you enjoy your work and money spent. And as with everything like stated before...too many mods can make the car not as fun to just "drive".

I can't over state how much the fuel system is often over looked. If your going E85 just build everything to be 50% larger then you planned.

I can't over state how much the fuel system is often over looked. If your going E85 just build everything to be 50% larger then you planned.

yup, hell i had twin a1000s and -10 dual feed and still had to upgrade to a cable driven pump. Fuel stuff I think is one of the items in my build I did not really budget for and it caught me off guard.

Yeah, I don't look at horsepower, or torque goals as much as a I look for solid trap speeds that are indicative of the results/car's performance. I trapped 110 in my car the other week and it's basically stock, reliable (*knock on wood), etc, and for example, realistically, how many cars are you going to run into on the street that are running in the 12's and trapping 110+?

yup, hell i had twin a1000s and -10 dual feed and still had to upgrade to a cable driven pump. Fuel stuff I think is one of the items in my build I did not really budget for and it caught me off guard.

It caught me off guard also. Going from the 820cc's i had before to what I need for the next go around is painful

Yeah, I don't look at horsepower, or torque goals as much as a I look for solid trap speeds that are indicative of the results/car's performance. I trapped 110 in my car the other week and it's basically stock, reliable (*knock on wood), etc, and for example, realistically, how many cars are you going to run into on the street that are running in the 12's and trapping 110+?

Finally toss a JB on?

459rwhp.

No more; no less.

:funny: I like.

It reminded me of a TV ad from the 1970's for an Audi with a straight 5 cylinder engine (nearly unheard of at that time). It went something like this:

Announcer: "Why did Audi decide to build a 5 cylinder engine for this car?"

Engineer: (in a heavy German accent) "Because 6 is too many and 4 is to few."