On3 Turbo Kit

WideOpenThrottle

I only know one person who runs the kit and his car is pretty beast and is in the mid 10's. Is anyone running the 67BB and 76BB on GT40 motors and what kind of number? There's only a thirty dollar difference in price, so I say why not go big? Wouldn't lower PSI be better on the turbo, and still put out good HP numbers?

And most 5.0 blocks give around 550 but I've seen them hold over 600 for months before. It all depends on how well they are built and if you're lucky!

Dont go to big as having a turbo not perform in its efficiency range is kind of a waste.

Guest GMoney
I thought 5.0's like to split at 450 to 500 whp??? can that power be reliable? I mean alot depends on tune quality and rpm's I guess

The key with keeping a 5.0 block together is keeping the RPMs down. Most split them because to make 550whp or more they begin to increase the max RPMs to do so. They should be just increasing the boost pressure and keeping the RPMs low to make more power.

If u can fit a large turbo do it. Only time ud ever have a issue is if your in front of the surge line. I just picked up my ls1 ac kit. 76mm. Key is to move more air at a lower boost pressure. This keeps heat down and rpm down. My heavy truck runs 8.90 @ 151 on average. Its not a great package for drag racing. But realize thats a gen 1 sbc 8.4.1 comp and 15psi and only 7200 rpm. To do the same thing with a 76mm it would be over 25psi and need more rpm. Yes if u run a large ar exh housing ud have a harder time spooling. In my honest opinion u want the largest turbo that will fit your goals. If your goal is 500whp u can run bb67 or a 70mm. If ur goal is 550 step up to a 76 and enjoy the benifits of more air at lower boost. The 76 with a .96 ar still has a small enuf exh housing to spool very well. Im looking to get a larger one on mine asap. Like a 1.01. Hope that helps

Thanks for all the input. I believe GMoney is right in keeping RPMs down is the way to save the 5.0 blocks and increasing the boost pressure and keeping the RPMs low to make more power is the safest way.

Matt, I don't think a person can have too much horse power and I wouldn't mind laying down 550WHP, I was trying to be modest with my numbers expectations. I think with it being a BB turbo that spooling will not be as much of an issue, I'll have to check with Chad and see what AR the exhaust is on the 76BB.

If u can fit a large turbo do it. Only time ud ever have a issue is if your in front of the surge line. I just picked up my ls1 ac kit. 76mm. Key is to move more air at a lower boost pressure. This keeps heat down and rpm down. My heavy truck runs 8.90 @ 151 on average. Its not a great package for drag racing. But realize thats a gen 1 sbc 8.4.1 comp and 15psi and only 7200 rpm. To do the same thing with a 76mm it would be over 25psi and need more rpm. Yes if u run a large ar exh housing ud have a harder time spooling. In my honest opinion u want the largest turbo that will fit your goals. If your goal is 500whp u can run bb67 or a 70mm. If ur goal is 550 step up to a 76 and enjoy the benifits of more air at lower boost. The 76 with a .96 ar still has a small enuf exh housing to spool very well. Im looking to get a larger one on mine asap. Like a 1.01. Hope that helps

Like matt said'' In my honest opinion u want the largest turbo that will fit your goals. If your goal is 500whp u can run bb67 or a 70mm'' On my setups I always went with a turbo that was for my dream hp goals. So lag was always an issue. Depending on tire and suspension setup I'd go with the 1.01 so you'll be moving pretty good to help with traction . Then the smaller A/R if you want the power down low.

I thought 5.0's like to split at 450 to 500 whp??? can that power be reliable? I mean alot depends on tune quality and rpm's I guess

There are a number of things but a fairly safe number to stick with is 450-500 on a stock block. A good tune and not over-revving the car is important as well

I only know one person who runs the kit and his car is pretty beast and is in the mid 10's. Is anyone running the 67BB and 76BB on GT40 motors and what kind of number? There's only a thirty dollar difference in price, so I say why not go big? Wouldn't lower PSI be better on the turbo, and still put out good HP numbers?

And most 5.0 blocks give around 550 but I've seen them hold over 600 for months before. It all depends on how well they are built and if you're lucky!

This is a 8 second car on our 5.0 system with our On 3 76mm turbo. Granted this isnt a stock block but just figured I would throw this out there so people can see whats been done and potential

So who on here runs one of his 2v kits?

I have an 02 thats sits up here, your more than welcome to check it out during the day sometime if you ever wanted.

I've been kicking the idea around on my mustang, I'll be a paid advertiser for a good deal ;) As long as we can figure out a way to keep things hidden or the whole "StockGT" name will be completely ruined :(

Everything tucks up nicely and if you just painted your intercooler, you would never know the car was turbo. My car looks bone stock, the intercooler is really the only giveaway

Thanks for all the input. I believe GMoney is right in keeping RPMs down is the way to save the 5.0 blocks and increasing the boost pressure and keeping the RPMs low to make more power is the safest way.

Matt, I don't think a person can have too much horse power and I wouldn't mind laying down 550WHP, I was trying to be modest with my numbers expectations. I think with it being a BB turbo that spooling will not be as much of an issue, I'll have to check with Chad and see what AR the exhaust is on the 76BB.

On the 76cBB turbos, I have .68, .81, and .96 in stock right now. On the journal On 3 76's, we have the same and should have 1.0 and 1.15 back in stock in around a month

Thats just too broad of a question as all cars are a little different. The 67 on the 5.0 cars we normally stick with that till around 600 and when someone says they will be going over, we do the 76mm upgrade.

For moderate boost applications on mod motor cars, 8-9psi, and the 67cBB turbo you would generally be in the 470-480 wheel range(common 3v range). These numbers all change and are all very general but just trying to give you an idea

That's answers my questions perfectly! I know no numbers are guaranteed, but those work. Like I said it's essentially a stock GT40 with full bolt-ons. Nothing special and no high expectations.

One last question, how much does it cost to upgrade to the 67BB? On e-Bay it says UPGRADING TO THIS (76mm): $179 if you are purchasing a 5.0 kit

Edited by WideOpenThrottle