An Iraq vets tale of terror, herroism and PTSD.

Sturg1647545502

long read but it goes on about a former army medic whose PTSD diagnosis was missed multiple times. As he spirals further down he ends up on heroin and robbing 10 banks in Cleveland.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/scottbuzz/passing-the-note-is-the-bang-how-a-war-hero-became-a-serial

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is this another story blaming PTSD on crimes committed?

Not blaming, but the main reason behind his actions. I was in Iraq during the same time, and that 15 months felt like a lifetime. There's somewhat of a saying that, a soldier may leave war, but war never leaves the soldier. In all accounts, that's 100% true. For some, it wasn't and isn't easy to just "turn it off" once you return to the world. By saying this, I'm not excusing any of his actions, but I know where he's coming from.

• Upvote 1

it's a good read... very interesting. I often thought it would be hard to come back after not living by laws per say while on the battle field... going from accepting that you can be killed and kill, to coming here where neither is accepted would be hard to do.

Not blaming, but the main reason behind his actions. I was in Iraq during the same time, and that 15 months felt like a lifetime. There's somewhat of a saying that, a soldier may leave war, but war never leaves the soldier. In all accounts, that's 100% true. For some, it wasn't and isn't easy to just "turn it off" once you return to the world. By saying this, I'm not excusing any of his actions, but I know where he's coming from.

So we can say for certain that if this guy had not served he would have never committed armed robbery almost a dozen times?

If a child was raped and tortured and turns out to be a rapist himself as an adult do we feel sorry for him because he had PTSD from being abused?

I applaud all service men and women who have served our country. Its just hard for me to watch anyone use a disorder as a defense when they get caught fucking up.

Are you saying that only people who have "served" are allowed to have PTSD?

ill answer your question although you havent answered mine.

no, im not saying that at all, but considering that this whole thread is based upon a soldier being diagnosed with PTSD committing these crimes it just kind of went with the theme of it.

So have you ever served?

So we can say for certain that if this guy had not served he would have never committed armed robbery almost a dozen times?

If a child was raped and tortured and turns out to be a rapist himself as an adult do we feel sorry for him because he had PTSD from being abused?

I applaud all service men and women who have served our country. Its just hard for me to watch anyone use a disorder as a defense when they get caught fucking up.

I hardly believe he is pleading not guilty because of PTSD. He is openly admitting he has a problem, and underlining problem which has plagued people who have fought in wars for centuries. Doctors have hardly touched the surface of PTSD and how it effects any one person. It's ignorant to compare a rapist suffering from PTSD to a soldier. No one fucking feels sorry for his crime but rather the fact he took the plunge to bring light to his condition. Him saying he is suffering from the condition isn't an excuse but a sign to others that it is ok to say you have a problem and to seek help prior to getting as low as he has gone. So before reading into it like he is pleading insanity, do some research and try to understand the difference in PTSD people suffer here compared to there.

ill answer your question although you havent answered mine.

no, im not saying that at all, but considering that this whole thread is based upon a soldier being diagnosed with PTSD committing these crimes it just kind of went with the theme of it.

So have you ever served?

So what does me serving or not have anything to do with my opinion? If I say that I haven't served will you then tell me I wouldn't understand?

I hardly believe he is pleading not guilty because of PTSD. He is openly admitting he has a problem, and underlining problem which has plagued people who have fought in wars for centuries. Doctors have hardly touched the surface of PTSD and how it effects any one person. It's ignorant to compare a rapist suffering from PTSD to a soldier. No one fucking feels sorry for his crime but rather the fact he took the plunge to bring light to his condition. Him saying he is suffering from the condition isn't an excuse but a sign to others that it is ok to say you have a problem and to seek help prior to getting as low as he has gone. So before reading into it like he is pleading insanity, do some research and try to understand the difference in PTSD people suffer here compared to there.

i was unaware that PTSD is different for a soldier than a civilian.

edit* after doing some research it is not different. Id be willing to bet good money that there are more people in this country that experience PTSD that have never served in the military.

I also read the article in full and to me it seems that its tying in the PTSD directly to his crimes. Basically saying that if he would have never seen the horrible things he saw he would have never been a bank robber. That is the beginning of his defense and it looks as if the courts did the right thing and gave him 11 years. I wonder about the bank tellers and if they now have PTSD while being held at gunpoint. Hopefully they get helpp before they go and commit crimes.

i was unaware that PTSD is different for a soldier than a civilian.

edit* after doing some research it is not different. Id be willing to bet good money that there are more people in this country that experience PTSD that have never served in the military.

I also read the article in full and to me it seems that its tying in the PTSD directly to his crimes. Basically saying that if he would have never seen the horrible things he saw he would have never been a bank robber. That is the beginning of his defense and it looks as if the courts did the right thing and gave him 11 years. I wonder about the bank tellers and if they now have PTSD while being held at gunpoint. Hopefully they get helpp before they go and commit crimes.

Ever stop in your local VA hospital? Speak with combat veterans.

Re-read all of your articles.

Find road kill, light it on fire, let the smell impregnate your nostrils.

Read House to House, Roughneck Nine-One, The Good Soldiers.

War is simple, war is fucked up. This medic's story is sad but if you show it a majority of veterans, you won't find judgment. You'll find what you consider 'sane' and 'normal' are much different between civilian and warfighter.

Ever stop in your local VA hospital? Speak with combat veterans.

Find road kill, light it on fire, let the smell impregnate your nostrils.

Read House to House, Roughneck Nine-One, The Good Soldiers.

War is simple, war is fucked up. This medic's story is sad but if you show it a majority of veterans, you won't find judgment. You'll find what you consider 'sane' and 'normal' are much different between civilian and warfighter.

this.

big difference being a civilian being diagnosed with a PTSD and being enlisted being diagnosed with PTSD. while your out in the suck you just cant decide when enough is enough, or at least when i was in. you just had to deal with it. now i am also taking careful consideration law enforcement, fire, and ems etc.. that can suffer from PTSD. and i can even give the average joe the respect of being diagnosed with it, but there is still a very big difference. ill let that be at that. And you are right, unless you have been in those shoes you will never understand.

But how about all of our people who have been held captive POW/MIA?

Civilian PTSD, given your sexual assult referance, is tramatic. However, what I think is not being said is the combat conflict and being in the environment where you are wanted dead. Fucking dead!!! Mangled brutally, and still having to move forward with your mission knowing this is what is wanted of you by the enemy. An enemy that you do not know who they are most of the time. Seeing your friend's get hurt and losing them. It can wear on people in many ways that are different than for others.

All I wanted was to protect my soldiers, the people I cared about in a bad place. And sometimes that was out of my hands. Now that I'm home, that carries over, but it's a little easier to work with. That's why I started teaching CCW classes. I don't want people to be a victim. I just want them to be safe as best they can. My hope is a CCW holder will stop an act of terrorism before it happend; for the person to be there to make the difference.

So if it isn't clear what is meant by "have you served" maybe that is a perspective that was not looked at.

The shit hat get me is that 70% or more of the vets that claim PTSD have never been outside the wire. The are admin or some other non-combat mos. Which means those of us who do have it have to wait in long lines at the Veterans Hospital just to talk to someone. People claim PTSD to get disability because they think its the easiest way to "rob" the government.

If you want to talk to someone and its your first time be prepared to wait 1-2 hours in the waiting room. Waiting there just makes you want to go even more crazy. Then they try and tell you that you have a drinking problem right away even if your a casual drinker. Shit is so funny I'd rather talk to friends about my issues then to someone there.

Edited by Moostang
  • Upvote 1

Zac, I went through that experience with going to the VA with one of my guys. It's pretty frustrating.

What we are referring to as "civilian PTSD" is still just PTSD. It only take an out of the normal, in the mind set of the person, experience where they had to do something or had something happen to them. Many people from 9/11 are under care for helping or being part of what happened that day. It happens to people from being in car accedents. Some people react differently to situations and process what's going on in a different way. It's not a fault in the person.

I know people who had several close calls with rockets and IEDs. Yet, they just wanted to get back out there. I know another person who fell off a parked truck, about 3 feet, and got knocked out for a minute. When they came to, they were all fucked up scared that they hit an IED and the enemy was after them. That person sent home shortly after that.

You put someone in an environment they can't fathom, and have a trigger event, they are going to be out of balance. They key is finding how to balance them after so they can enjoy things.