Cell Phone: S4 v. HTC One

dover

I have the iPhone 5 right now and have had all the generations prior. I am trying to decide whether or not it would be a good move to make the change.

Reason's for wanting to leave the iPhone world:

Had them forever getting bored of the same shit every generation

Small Screen

Garbage speakers

iOS updates are very sub-par

Realistically I use the phone for:

texting

some calls

a lot of internet browsing

youtube/netflix

Now I have handled and kind of played with both the S4 and the HTC One, but would love some first hand knowledge with those that have them. Should I wait for the next generation of these current phones? Should I wait for this over glorified hypothetical iPhone 6 (5s)? Thanks guru's.

http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Samsung-Galaxy-S4-White-2.jpg

http://tech.infaround.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/htc-one-white.jpg

I have the S4 and love it. You really can't go wrong with either phone.

The HTC does not have a removable battery though. Both have great screens. The HTC has far better speakers than the S4 though.

As far as waiting, you'll have to wait basically another year for the next gen of each phone.

I currently use the S4 and I think it's great. I am not spent anymore than 5 minutes in a store holding the One, so I have no basis for comparison. The S4 out of the box has issues. I rooted my S3 and Note 2, but never changed the rom because stock TW was enough. On the S4 I had to change the rom. It just had lag that appeared in places and annoyed the shit out of me. Now it's a rocket. The screen is clear as hell. The gimmicky stuff you'll find yourself using. I do quite a bit. I didn't realize how often my hands are messy with something and I used to grab my phone...Now i can manage it w/out touching.

I currently use the S4 and I think it's great. I am not spent anymore than 5 minutes in a store holding the One, so I have no basis for comparison. The S4 out of the box has issues. I rooted my S3 and Note 2, but never changed the rom because stock TW was enough. On the S4 I had to change the rom. It just had lag that appeared in places and annoyed the shit out of me. Now it's a rocket. The screen is clear as hell. The gimmicky stuff you'll find yourself using. I do quite a bit. I didn't realize how often my hands are messy with something and I used to grab my phone...Now i can manage it w/out touching.

What ROM are you using?

I was in the same boat. HTC vs s4. I held both. I'm glad I went with the HTC one.

I use mine for internet, text, email, calls, and most of all YouTube.

The speaker system on the HTC one sold me. The screen will play HD videos and has more PPI than the s4.

S4 has more mega pixel camera, replaceable battery, memory stick.

The only things I absolutely hated on the s4 was the rear tiny speaker, and the fake feel of the phone. Plastic.

I havent had much complaints on the HTC one other than it taking forever to get used to the text keyboard. Bigger phone than my iPhone 4s so shit is more spread out.

I just got the S4 a few days ago; never touched the HTC.

The S4 feels super light and plasticky but I got around that with a really nice Spigen Neo Hybrid case. It makes the phone have the same sort of shape as an iPhone, just way bigger. Feels great in my hand.

I had a family event on Sunday all day taking a ton of incredible quality pictures with the 13MP camera, forgot to charge it, and still had enough juice to make all the sales calls I needed yesterday. 30 hours of average useage without charging according to the phone.

I don't care much about onboard speakers, as I use headphones if I'm that serious about phone media, but the S4 speaker does suck for anything but ringtones.

Some of the features I thought were gimmicky are actually awesome; the phone reads eye movements when I'm reading emails and auto-scrolls the page. If I hover my finger over the screen in my inbox, it gives me a preview screen of whatever email I'm hovering over. The voice command response is awesome. The multi-window funciton is great.

I can't say that the HTC One is a superior/inferior phone since I've got 0 experience with it, but the S4 is perfect for me. If I didn't have this, I'd probably have a Note 2, I'm very happy with Samsung (first time owner, previously all LG or Motocrap)

EDIT: oh yeah, and the fact that I can use it as a TV remote gives me a nerdgasm.

I just got the S4 a few days ago; never touched the HTC.

The S4 feels super light and plasticky but I got around that with a really nice Spigen Neo Hybrid case. It makes the phone have the same sort of shape as an iPhone, just way bigger. Feels great in my hand.

I had a family event on Sunday all day taking a ton of incredible quality pictures with the 13MP camera, forgot to charge it, and still had enough juice to make all the sales calls I needed yesterday. 30 hours of average useage without charging according to the phone.

I don't care much about onboard speakers, as I use headphones if I'm that serious about phone media, but the S4 speaker does suck for anything but ringtones.

Some of the features I thought were gimmicky are actually awesome; the phone reads eye movements when I'm reading emails and auto-scrolls the page. If I hover my finger over the screen in my inbox, it gives me a preview screen of whatever email I'm hovering over. The voice command response is awesome. The multi-window funciton is great.

I can't say that the HTC One is a superior/inferior phone since I've got 0 experience with it, but the S4 is perfect for me. If I didn't have this, I'd probably have a Note 2, I'm very happy with Samsung (first time owner, previously all LG or Motocrap)

EDIT: oh yeah, and the fact that I can use it as a TV remote gives me a nerdgasm.

You just explained a lot of the same things the htc one has.

I used the 30 day return policy form ATT to learn that I fucking hated the new windows phone.

Just get one and use it for 30 days, pay the restock and try the other ... get the better one you like

Windows phone LOL

This is a good idea, just get one and exchange it if you don't like.

I bought the iPhone 5 on release day and held it about 2 weeks before I realized the Note 2 was much better. I returned it. Att didn't charge a restocking fee. In fact, I had both for about a week..added a line for N2 and cancelled it all, kept the N2.

I would go with the S4. I've had the S1 and S2 and they are good phones. I don't care about the speaker. I don't use my phone that often for music/video and if I do it is connected bluetooth or wired headphones. The better camera is the tipping point for me.

I wish I didn't buy this iphone 5...

In my experience, Samsung is MUCH better at writing software. Everyone that I know with a recent HTC smartphone has had pretty major software bugs. If you want the best of both worlds, pick up the HTC One Google Edition. It's the HTC One hardware, with pure Android, none of that Sense garbage. Otherwise get the S4 and turn off all the fancy gesture/camera control nonsense.

does the HTC one have removable memory (sd card)?

The HTC does not. What takes up most of your space? Is it stuff like music and pictures or is it apps?

An SD card is ideal for storing documents, music and photos, but apps are stored on internal storage. Yes you can move some apps to your SD card, but it's only a portion of it, and apps that have widgets can not be stored on the SD card. So bottom line, the phone with the biggest internal storage is always better, but if you take a shit ton of pictures and don't believe in keeping your music in the cloud with Google Music...then get one with an SD card.

If you're going to do a bit of Youtube/Netflix - I would go with the HTC One due to it's stereo front facing speakers. I personally like the build quality on the One better as well. But, you can't go wrong with either one.

At Microcenter you can pick up a S4 or One for $99 with 2-year activation (or renewal) - but I think it's AT&T only.

This is definitely making it tough. There are things I like about both of them. I love the design of the HTC and the speakers. But I do like the ability to have a removable battery and SD storage.

I'm leaning towards HTC one right now.. Mainly the speakers and the screen is 4.7 compared to the 4.9 of the S4 so that isnt big. And having the expandable memory would be sweet but I don't even have my 32GB iPhone 1/2 way used.