Hard to justify

Mojoe

It's everything I want in a bike. Waaaay more what I need or can use. I tell people I have a 250 with 500 on reserve (it's a 750). It's sits and looks good on the stand in my garage. I take it to 2-3 track days a year at Putnam, Mid-O or Jennings. I'm not great on it, but I stick to the basics. I really don't like riding on the street because of the un-needed risks. I just have other shit to do that make it hard to justify a ride and if I went down. I don't have the time to recover, so I usually don't ride it.

I rode today for the first time since Jennings in March. It was fun, but I was a commuter. Why not be in a car? I guess the way I see it is when I get on the bike I accept it could be the last time. Sometimes, I just don't have time for it to be the last time. Most of what I do is off of some sort of risk assessment. I'm by far, a fair weather rider. If it's not perfect, I don't get on the bike. Financially it hasn't been an issue, but the insurance seems to be a waste. I know if I took it off, it would get stolen or something would happen to it. I bought the bike to track and some street with full intention/expectation of laying it down at the track. I don't ride aggressively on the street (most would say on the track either, haha)

Who has found themselves in the same position and how did things end up?

I rode for 10 years and worked at a motorcycle dealership which started just as a way to get discounted parts..haha. So I was pretty deep into the life. I first got on road courses with bikes and still love that experience.

My falling out with the sport/life was that just about all if my friends that I rode with started getting out of it so I was mostly riding on my own. That's fine on the street but takes some of the fun out of doing track days when you're on your own. So then it was a street bike and I was tracking my M3 instead.

As you said, riding on the street presents quite a few risks and I found myself more upset with the hazards of riding on the road. I specifically remember getting the bike out one afternoon that I had off and LOVING it and thinking I'd been crazy to think about selling it...not 10 minutes later a lady in a minivan pulled out right in front of me and I barely missed t-boning into the side of her. That was pretty much the end.

My FD is essentially my motorcycle now in that its used on weekends and at the track. While I think about bikes from time to time I don't regularly miss it and I'm happy with my choice.

I rode for 10 years and worked at a motorcycle dealership which started just as a way to get discounted parts..haha. So I was pretty deep into the life. I first got on road courses with bikes and still love that experience.

My falling out with the sport/life was that just about all if my friends that I rode with started getting out of it so I was mostly riding on my own. That's fine on the street but takes some of the fun out of doing track days when you're on your own. So then it was a street bike and I was tracking my M3 instead.

As you said, riding on the street presents quite a few risks and I found myself more upset with the hazards of riding on the road. I specifically remember getting the bike out one afternoon that I had off and LOVING it and thinking I'd been crazy to think about selling it...not 10 minutes later a lady in a minivan pulled out right in front of me and I barely missed t-boning into the side of her. That was pretty much the end.

My FD is essentially my motorcycle now in that its used on weekends and at the track. While I think about bikes from time to time I don't regularly miss it and I'm happy with my choice.

Pretty much where I am. I don't like to ride with anyone on the street. The friends I go to the track with are pretty awesome, and I'm no where near the level they ride at. As it is, I bum space on a friends trailor to get to the track. It has worked out well, but the cost of tracking and all that goes into it is getting frustrating. I have thoguht about going to a couple private riding schools for track. Track day instrcution just hasn't cut it for me. But why the hell do that? I'm not going pro with this. It's just for fun. Right?

The same could be said for most shooters as well.

I find myself riding less for commuting, and more for playing due to traffic danger. I hear you there, rush hour people are NOT thinking about traffic, and too many close calls adjusted my attitude a bit. I just avoid times/areas of high congestion on the bike.

Pretty much where I am. I don't like to ride with anyone on the street. The friends I go to the track with are pretty awesome, and I'm no where near the level they ride at. As it is, I bum space on a friends trailor to get to the track. It has worked out well, but the cost of tracking and all that goes into it is getting frustrating. I have thoguht about going to a couple private riding schools for track. Track day instrcution just hasn't cut it for me. But why the hell do that? I'm not going pro with this. It's just for fun. Right?

Spending money on continuing the track habit is up to you as to how serious you want to be with the habit. I'm never going to even amateur race cars but it doesn't mean that I don't want to become a better driver, so I get instruction whenever I can. Look into attending one of the Keith Code schools if you want more personalized instruction without having to pay to hire a one-on-one coach.

It sounds like you need to figure out if its worth continuing the track habit and the costs and time involved there. If not then sell it and enjoy other hobbies.

The same could be said for most shooters as well.

I find myself riding less for commuting, and more for playing due to traffic danger. I hear you there, rush hour people are NOT thinking about traffic, and too many close calls adjusted my attitude a bit. I just avoid times/areas of high congestion on the bike.

Absolutely. I left this morning at 7:20. I didn't need to be in until 9am. I just didn't want to deal with traffic.

Spending money on continuing the track habit is up to you as to how serious you want to be with the habit. I'm never going to even amateur race cars but it doesn't mean that I don't want to become a better driver, so I get instruction whenever I can. Look into attending one of the Keith Code schools if you want more personalized instruction without having to pay to hire a one-on-one coach.

It sounds like you need to figure out if its worth continuing the track habit and the costs and time involved there. If not then sell it and enjoy other hobbies.

I've seen and done as much "Twist of the wrist" studying as I'm realistically going to. It has all been for fun anyways. I need to spend some time on the track with the FD and be done with the bike at the track.

Your perspective has been quite helpful.

I will say this; I feel as though I have a very well rounded outlook as a person on the road's. I have driven everything from a tractor trailer, bus, cargo truck, car's, bikes and been on countless combat convoy's. When I'm on the road, I get where each is coming from and try to stay mindful to what they are going through, or going to do.

I really wish more people on the road had a full spectrome understanding of what's going on around them on the road. I would say being on a bike opened my eyes to a world I hadn't thought much about.

Had one and rode it a lot when my friends had theirs and it was a blast. Friends sold theirs, stopped hanging out with them, Kenny, etc. so i stopped riding so much, then i couldn't justify the $600 a year in insurance for the bike when i could have a car and drive it 4 seasons a year rather than 6 months a year (if we're lucky). So i sold mine, I will say some days i miss it, but most i am glad to have moved on to cars.

I've seen and done as much "Twist of the wrist" studying as I'm realistically going to. It has all been for fun anyways. I need to spend some time on the track with the FD and be done with the bike at the track.

Your perspective has been quite helpful.

Sometimes having the coach there with you helps a lot more than just reading the book, even though that's one of the best out there for cara or bikes.

Warning about tracking the FD: it will make tracking the bike look minimal in expense terms.

The reason I wanted to track a bike was to cut the expense of tracking the car. Now I just haven't tracked the car. Brakes, tires, gas are way more often in the car, but yet I'm leaning toward it being a better fit for me.

I rode in anything when I got my last 750. I was a squid to the max. told myself if I lived through the season the way I was riding I would sell it and make some changes to my life.

Here I am today, forever aloning away

I sold my crotch rocket 2 (maybe 3) years ago and bought a cruiser. I sold the 1200 as there wasnt a time I rode it that I did not go at least 150MPH. I would go out of my way on a ride to make this happen. After 2 years of this, I decided I was a risk to myself and others. I LOVE to ride which is why I bought a cruiser. It's slow, handles ok, but is a couch going down the road. I'll always own one.

No payment, insurance is ~$125yr for an 1100cc couch and it gets 40+mpg. I will use it to commute to work and take nice, relaxing rides.

All of my friends with bikes also sold them (iac, clark, adam, eric, etc) which sucks but I still enjoy cranking up some music and riding a few hours.

You're welcome to give my bike a spin if you've never ridden a cruiser. Totally different experience and you may enjoy it.

-Marc

Thanks Marc. Just no interest in the cruisers.

If I get anything different, it would be a XR100 for circleville track.

No worries man. If you change your mind, you know how to reach me.

I wont lie...everytime I ride I DO miss my sport bike...but I know right now owning one is a bad idea.

-Marc

The RX-7 is done. Could use a better tune and turn the boost up a little. But, it's finally right. That was finished last Spring. Makes 4XXwhp and is reliable.

On the Bike; I just rode home. It wasn't even fun. For me, sport bike means be on the track. And I just don't have the time to do all that goes into tracking it the right way = waste.