Tick Tick Knock Knock

GilbWs6

This morning I hoped in the WS6 to drive it to work. I heard a quiet ticking noise echoing off the garage floor/wall. Popped the hood, couldn't hear anything. Got down on the floor and heard the ticking coming from underneath the car. Gave it a little rev and the noise went away. First though was an exhaust leak. Nursed it to work and didn't have any issues. Started it back up to have one of the techs look at it and it sounded the same but when I revved it, it made a slight knocking noise (also coming from underneath the car). I'm hoping this isn't the case but I'm fearing that it's the bottom end. Having our engine tech look at it on Monday. Have any of you had experiences like this with LS1's?

My longtubes would rattle against the k-member I think it was from time to time. If it's a ticking noise, possible pop off your valve covers and check your rockers and springs...but you said it's underneath so I'm not sure. Stupid question, but have you checked your oil level? Lol don't skip over the easy checks first.

Stupid question, but have you checked your oil level? Lol don't skip over the easy checks first.

No I haven't. I changed the oil myself last Tuesday and would think I'd have oil on the floor of my garage or my parking spot at work. I'll double check it though. I left it in the shop at work til Monday.

Have you heard piston slap before? Normal right after start up and worse when it's cold. My car has been doing it since 56K when I bought the car and now has a 103K without any issues.

Yes. My car does it too. This sound isn't it. I wish it was.

Rod knock on my 80k mile ls1 :)

Definitely not that loud.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's a spring or something to do with my longtube install from last fall. Don't get me wrong, I want to do a motor build but I had put it off this year to do some stuff to the house I'd been wanting to do. The more I think about it, I don't think it's a bearing, I managed to drive it from Lancaster to Dublin this morning on the thought that it was an exhaust leak. I would think that the damn thing would have come apart along the 44 mile trek.

I had to drive mine like in the video for 30miles back to the shop. Wasn't hard on it but it made it and didn't damage anything internally except the crank which was already shot and the rods hat were on that journal. Nothing some eBay used rods and another crank didn't fix :)

Engine guy was bogged down today with Cordell's favorite things to do when he was a GM tech (3.6 timing chains). I took a video of it. Seems to be getting louder. Another person said they thought it sounded like an exhaust leak without me provoking a comment. That's 3 people that have thought that other than me. Granted, none of us are techs.