2002 chevy trailblazer/ gas fumes

rage1187

just picked up a 2002 chevy trailblazer I6 4x4 as an everyday driver to keep the miles of the GT. been doing alot of research and looking for some advice here.

gas fume smell outside of vehicle. researching it ive come up with the actual fuel pump sending unit top will rust out and allow vapors to exit. im assuming im going to have to buy a new sending unit ( 299-330 bucks ). advice part one. any cheaper route?

lets say i replace this whole unit, what preventative measures can i take that will not affect the top of the unit to prevent it from rusting in the future? will undercoating be ok to use? or some form of a rust preventative?

Not sure if the setup would be the same, but I know a lot of V8 Chevy Trailblazers/Silverados/GMC Sierra, Etc.have issues with the Purge/Vent Solenoids and just the "EVAP" system in general. If you have a check engine light on I'd recommend getting the code pulled to see what it is, and post it here. IIRC the codes are between P0440-P0459, but in my experience it is usually P0441, P0442 and P0443 that I see in GM vehicles.

I had an '07 Silverado with a 5.3 and ran into this issue, fixed the solenoids and canister vent valve, and it made the odors go away. Another issue I commonly ran into was the fuel pump nozzle would shut off if I was filling up with it all the way in and on "auto" I would have to hold it at the very edge until one day it would only let me do 10 cents at a time. Talk about a breaking point....

I'm sure Cordell or someone who has a much better knowledge of GM products in general will step in here and give a few better ideas.

Look at the gas tank where the filler neck goes in and make sure it's not leaking. The top of the sending unit is pretty likely as well, only well to tell is to drop the tank and see.

While they have EVAP and Vent solenoid issues it shouldn't cause a fuel smell.

Look at the gas tank where the filler neck goes in and make sure it's not leaking. The top of the sending unit is pretty likely as well, only well to tell is to drop the tank and see.

While they have EVAP and Vent solenoid issues it shouldn't cause a fuel smell.

i had checked the filler neck because i had read that was an issue as well. i have no check engine light that would indicate the evap system although it had crossed my mind. from everything im reading its the actual top of the fuel sending unit that corrodes. only solution is to buy a new fuel pump. a pricey one at that. i bought this car used so i dont know if it would fall under that tsb bulletin or not. i will not pay a dealership to do the repair when im perfectly capable of doing it myself unless it is covered for free.

According to the TSB I found on AllData for your vehicle, it looks like you are shit out of luck for anything free now. Looks like you could still file for some kind of secondary warranty gig, but it is a huge jumbled mess of confusing wording. Might just be easier to fix yourself in the long run.

"(Filler neck symptoms and effected vehicles/areas)....If this occurs on your vehicle within 10 years of the date when your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge."

kind of figured i would be SOL. lol.

well on that note then, can you spray some form of rust coating on the top of the fuel pump without screwing it up?

If it's leaking that isn't going to accomplish anything. If you mean after you replace it to keep it from happening again then sure.

If it's leaking that isn't going to accomplish anything. If you mean after you replace it to keep it from happening again then sure.

yeah i was talking about after replacing it. pisses me off i have to spend over 300 bucks for it anyways lol. if they are known for rusting im just trying to look further down the road and do some preventative maintenance.

appreciate all the advice and info though.

• 3 months later...
i usually shop around pretty good but had never checked ebay or anything. why is it the fuel pumps that are sold from the parts stores are over 300 bucks but then the fuel pumps from ebay are only 40-60 bucks? i know you get what you pay for blah blah blah, but why the drastic change? im just trying to get that tank sealed up so the fumes dont get out and i can get some better gas mileage, but i honestly dont have the 300 bucks to do it. Its a sincere question though.

so from from what i am seeing the only thing it is lacking is just the connecting wire. thats going from the pictures from the parts stores and pictures from ebay. it says it is the whole assembly.

for example.

advanced auto parts.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_fuel-pump-module-assembly-airtex_15770128-p?navigationPath=L1*14932%7CL2*14986%7CL3*15378

and ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRIME-CHOICE-PREMIUM-NEW-GAS-FUEL-PUMP-MODULE-ASSEMBLY-WITH-SENDING-UNIT-/350785798541?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2002%7CMake%3AChevrolet%7CModel%3ATrailblazer&hash=item51ac76818d&vxp=mtr

these both listed have the pigtail.

i understand ebay is typically cheap parts, but wow what a difference in pricing.

• 4 weeks later...

just an update if anyone gives a shit.

Dropped the gas tank and found out what all what going on. Top of the fuel pump was nothing but rust. the nipples on the pump had completly rusted leaving gas sit on top of the tank. I got the pump replaced by buying a cheap ebay one. hopefully it holds up. had to replace one of the end lines going into the pump because the nipple broke off in it.

So far so good and its been a week. no more fumes and its nice to put gas in it and it last more than a week.

no it wasnt hard to drop. i wasnt out anything and didnt have to pay anyone.

as for the pump. it was 35 bucks shipped vs the parts store 300+. granted the parts store would come with a limited warranty, i would still have to drop the tank again. its a risk that i was willing to take.