4.0 timing help

Ryan218

Who here has done the time chains on a 4.0 from a 04 explorer? I'm getting ready to pull the motor on my explorer to rebuild it. The timing on it looks like a pain in the add with chain front of motor and the back. Could use a little help.

What Rocky said. Though I would replace the guides too. I know there was a recall for the 98 we had for the timing chain guides (we found out after they broke). You probably have revised guides, but it couldn't hurt since your rebuilding anyways.

what all tools are needed to time this thing? pulling the motor out this weekend then getting all the parts to start this. the mustang just devopled somemssive oil consumtion problem so i need to get this fixed so i can put the mustang in the garage and build another motor lol.

what all tools are needed to time this thing? pulling the motor out this weekend then getting all the parts to start this.

Only special service tools I remember using were cam holders. Make sure you have a good set of quick disconnect tools for the trans and fuel lines.

Edit: look into getting/borrowing this kit if you want the least amount of trouble. OTC 6488 4.0 SOHC Cam service kit.

ok thank you. timing this motor looks like a massive pain and i really dont want to set it up wrong.

damn cheapest ive found was 180 for the kit. if someone has this tool ill happily throw them 50 bucks or whatever to borrow the tool or the day. orrrr if someone wants to time it...more money and beer..... or walk me through as i do it.