Detroit bankrupt

Casper

"If the bankruptcy filing is approved, city assets could be liquidated to satisfy demands for payment."

I see a great opportunity here. Combine the sale of the city assets with McDonald's current Monopoly sweepstakes, and lucky customers could literally win the Utilities, Short Line, and Park Place. I know I'd want to up my weekly quota of Quarter Pounders with Cheese in hopes of snagging all the gold-colored properties right before Free Parking. Winners from across the nation would move to Detroit to take possession of their real estate prizes. There'd be an influx of new money, new taxpayers, red hotels popping up everywhere ....... frickin' ingenious.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/mcdonalds-monopoly-2010-menu-mcdonalds_zpse53a2ac6.jpg

"If the bankruptcy filing is approved, city assets could be liquidated to satisfy demands for payment."

I see a great opportunity here. Combine the sale of the city assets with McDonald's current Monopoly sweepstakes, and lucky customers could literally win the Utilities, Short Line, and Park Place. I know I'd want to up my weekly quota of Quarter Pounders with Cheese in hopes of snagging all the gold-colored properties right before Free Parking. Winners from across the nation would move to Detroit to take possession of their real estate prizes. There'd be an influx of new money, new taxpayers, red hotels popping up everywhere ....... frickin' ingenious.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/mcdonalds-monopoly-2010-menu-mcdonalds_zpse53a2ac6.jpg

doc for president .

Well.....if the brilliant folks in the govt want to bail out Detroit, at least the money would stay local. Money will be wasted but its better than giving money to countries half way around the world that don't like us anyway.

....and it is the way the rest of this Country is heading...

The rest of the country's cities are losing half of their population and unable to keep up with the resulting unused infrastructure?

Got it.

Have any citations on Urban growth vs. Suburban/rural growth?

It sounds like the people who are going to suffer are the people who deserve to suffer least.

However, in the long run this could work out for the city. There's so much property rotting away because despite the property being for sale for $100, there's $200k of unpaid property taxes. If that can be wiped clean (lets be honest, it'd never get paid anyways) it opens the door for a revival IF MANAGED PROPERLY (it won't be).

I went to a Deftones concert in Detroit back when I was 19. Got "hit on" by a nasty ass prostitute while standing in line outside the theater, got hammered, and at one point I remember eating the best pizza i've ever had...

Detroit...:fuckyeah: