Window experts

Mallard

I'm buying a house and have some concerns about the windows. They are vinyl (guessing just vinyl-clad) and several of them have rust coming out of the weep holes. The weep holes are plugged, with what I'm assuming are supposed to be hinged doors, in order to let condensation out. However, these are stuck shut. I don't know if this is improper installation, a manufacturer defect, or what I should be expecting needs fixed.

I'm assuming the condensation holes have been plugged since install, and the entire inside of the window is covered in rust. See pic below. Thoughts?

The house is a new construction, so everything is 'brand new.' Haven't gone through final inspection yet.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h92/mallard1055/2013-07-16185203.jpg

Who makes the window, and how many of them are rusted/plugged like that?

I don't think that's very common on a halfway decent window. Some companies like United make a window with a sloped sill, eliminating the need for weep holes. The way Pella designed the weep system on their 350 vinyl series, it's really difficult for the holes to become obstructed. If I had to guess, I would say it's just a design flaw by whatever company manufactured your window. I'm far from an expert though, so I could be way off.

Who makes the window, and how many of them are rusted/plugged like that?

I don't think that's very common on a halfway decent window. Some companies like United make a window with a sloped sill, eliminating the need for weep holes. The way Pella designed the weep system on their 350 vinyl series, it's really difficult for the holes to become obstructed. If I had to guess, I would say it's just a design flaw by whatever company manufactured your window. I'm far from an expert though, so I could be way off.

They are MLC windows, which after reading reviews are complete shit. It's happening on every window that is a slider. The casements and fixed panes appear fine. It looks like a common problem with this company and people have problems trying to warranty them.

MLC stands for Mike LoChirco, and LoChirco is one of the larger home builders in the area. Looks like he started a window company so he could sell them to himself and now a lot of the other builders are using them too. Seems like we might just get fucked on this one. There are people with two year old homes that have water coming into their house, drywall damage, wood rot, etc. and they still won't warranty them. There was an entire development of 54 homes trying to band together in a law suit.

If the drain plugs were not left to drain then then a vinyl window will rust as it has in your case,from the inside.

Do not sign off on final inspection until they take care of it.

If it makes you feel any better we started replacing our glass sealed units in my new Rockford house after 3 or 4 years.

if the windows are that bad , how bad is the rest of the house if its from the same builder?

id move on if it was me.

LoChirco is not the builder of my home. The rest of the house seems up to par, minus small issues, but it's still in progress.

If the drain plugs were not left to drain then then a vinyl window will rust as it has in your case,from the inside.

Do not sign off on final inspection until they take care of it.

If it makes you feel any better we started replacing our glass sealed units in my new Rockford house after 3 or 4 years.

Thanks! My thoughts exactly.