Stator went bad already

ousley99

So we got my bike torn apart today and the stator is def fried.. hopefully the rectifier is still ok but tests will tell..

stator.jpg

Soo.. why did this happen to a 2 year old bike.. i have stock lights on my bike, and there are no bad connections or wires anywhere!

replace the rectifier!!! it may work, but have an internally shorted diode, which is what caused this problem to happen in the first place, also check your wiring, you are drawing Way too much current somewhere, they may be a short somewhere else too, but replace the rectifier anyway.

Travis... Before you put in a new stator.. pull off all that wiring you did for your tail light.. Im guessing you fucked something up with it which led to the stator taking a shit.

The LED isnt drawing anymore amperage than a normal bulb and if its backwards it wont work, SO i cant see a LED killing a stator.

The rectifier checked out according to the Kawi manual

Yes, if the rectifier diode goes out, then that part of the stator ceases working, no output. Wouldn't fry like that. Near as I can remember.

I don't think I've ever seen one fry like that. It's mucho cooked one of the three core winding sets. 5 of 15 coils. Looks more like an internal short to the stator itself. Dunno, at least you found the problem. Pretty darn visible, wasn't it?

The stator output would fry a wire or fuse, before it fried itself, if something was connected wrong. Exception would be directly connecting those coils to ground. And that's a stator internal short, I suppose.

Actually, take that one back to the factory shop, and see what they say about it. There are lots of stator recalls on bikes.

Yes, if the rectifier diode goes out, then that part of the stator ceases working, no output. Wouldn't fry like that. Near as I can remember.

I don't think I've ever seen one fry like that. It's mucho cooked one of the three core winding sets. 5 of 15 coils. Looks more like an internal short to the stator itself. Dunno, at least you found the problem. Pretty darn visible, wasn't it?

The stator output would fry a wire or fuse, before it fried itself, if something was connected wrong. Exception would be directly connecting those coils to ground. And that's a stator internal short, I suppose.

Actually, take that one back to the factory shop, and see what they say about it. There are lots of stator recalls on bikes.

It almost looked like to me that the three stator wire inside the motor wore inside the black oil shiled and shorted themselves there

It almost looked like to me that the three stator wire inside the motor wore inside the black oil shiled and shorted themselves there

And yes, that's what it looks like. A dead short at or near the stator. And I might call that a design error, a factory defect. I'd push that one right up to the factory rep. Pack it in a box and send it to them, if they request it. Worth a couple of phone calls.

edit: check around the engine case and cover where the wiring may have shorted out. It probably has a burn mark like mini welding.

Edited by ReconRat

And yes, that's what it looks like. A dead short at or near the stator. And I might call that a design error, a factory defect. I'd push that one right up to the factory rep. Pack it in a box and send it to them, if they request it. Worth a couple of phone calls.

edit: check around the engine case and cover where the wiring may have shorted out. It probably has a burn mark like mini welding.

I looked and didnt find anything

Crazyness..

BTW ASK Columbus' (not grovetucky) service dept has a fucking asshole service manager. we took my rectifier down there to have them test it and the asshole said he wouldn't do it unless i brought him the whole bike and he did the diagnostic, not us. i mean in the manual it says there is a kaw tester specificly for the rectifier when its off the bike, and that dick was like no, u dont need to be touching the bike, only a kaw dealership should be servicing it. glad we only have 1 fucking kaw dealership in the area

lol whatever. fuck them.

thats what the book says about the IC igniter on my kaw 500. id bet dollars to donuts the only thing they do to "test" it, is take one off of a bike on the showroom floor and swap it out.

or like the place that said its "300 to check the valve clearances, and another 300 to adjust them if they need it"

uhhhh yeah fucking right asshole. you make the adjustment right then and there when you check it. you turn a screw. thats it. they want 300 extra dollars for "adjusting" it? gimme a break.

• 2 weeks later...

Call me crazy but ......

A guy I knew had an aftermarket Cover nice and pretty chrome, :rolleyes: but the way it was machined on the inside didn't seem to let enough oil flow or cool it ? and it burned up 2 stators ?? :eek: