junkyards?

xlr8tn

Anyone know where there are any good junkyards at? I'm not talking for car parts....I'm talking like scrap metal, random non-car parts, and shit like that. I'd like to find a fairly decent sized electric motor. I want to make a screw type log splitter. I'd also thought about trying to find a hydraulic cylinder to make a hydraulic splitter too but the screw type would be the simplest to make. I just don't know where to look for the motor at and haven't seen a decent junkyard in years. I could also use some various pieces of scrap metal.

I literally just scrapped 2 good ones 2 weeks ago because I was making room in storage at our shop, one of which had been rebuilt and never used again. I took them to my great uncle's scrap yard in Jackson, Osborne Scrap. He asked if both were good, so I don't think he planned to take them apart. I don't know much about the motors themselves, but they were used to start an old 105 cfm air compressor and I believe they're 3 phase. We have a third one at the shop still, but it has the pulley setup for the compressor so I'd like to keep them together.

I have a 3/4 HP 220v electric motor that I'm never going to use. If you think that could work then you can have it.

that would be awesome.....where at in Columbus are you? You like BBQ? I could trade you some BBQ for it. :D

That seemed to work pretty fast, I'd like to give one of those a try sometime compared to a much slower hydraulic wedge splitter.

the problem will be making the screw. I have to find something that I can key onto the shaft of the motor that I can grind to a point. Ideally it'd be awesome to find something that's pointed already. I've seen where people then make the "threads" with an angle grinder but I believe I would go at it a little differently. If I can find something pointed that keys onto the shaft my plan is to make my threads by welding a piece of wire spiraled up it and then use the angle grinder to clean them up and shape the threads. A lathe would awesome to have but I don't have one of those laying around so I'll have to improvise.

After that I would mount the motor to a plate and weld that to a 2" bull cock and use the receiver on the truck.

the problem will be making the screw. I have to find something that I can key onto the shaft of the motor that I can grind to a point. Ideally it'd be awesome to find something that's pointed already. I've seen where people then make the "threads" with an angle grinder but I believe I would go at it a little differently. If I can find something pointed that keys onto the shaft my plan is to make my threads by welding a piece of wire spiraled up it and then use the angle grinder to clean them up and shape the threads. A lathe would awesome to have but I don't have one of those laying around so I'll have to improvise.

After that I would mount the motor to a plate and weld that to a 2" bull cock and use the receiver on the truck.

From my experience in school using the metal lathe, you cannot make threads on something tapered like that. You would need a CNC and would spend hours and hours programming it. If you can locate a solid cone, an angle grinder or cut off wheel is going to be your best bet.