Experience with a whippled 8.1?

PRD2BDF

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would update this.

They are experiencing problems with the Whipple system. Apparently it was common as a few people have complained. We are constantly getting a cel that points to either or both the throttle and maf sensors. From what I've gleaned from the forums is that it's experiencing too much airflow and the fuel system cannot keep up. People who had this fixed the issue by upgrading to larger marine injectors and a lot of tuning.

Ultimately, they are not interested in doing this and are looking at reverting it back to stock

Most likely running off the end of the MAF frequency limit. That motor is rather large so the cyl pressure is distributed a lot better then say an LShaunnn with ~350ci. Still - when you put any engine through the stresses of towing (load) you end up in a region of calibration that unless excessively R&D'ed - can become troubled waters, quickly. There's a reason why Ferrrrrd has dumped a ton of R&D into the Ecoboost in the F150. You don't find to many gasser's sporting forced induction for a reason. DI is starting to change that however.

Pull the exact codes and post em up. Lean 1 and 2 does not equal not enough fuel always (by this i mean not enough injector) if it runs off of a MAF (Which I'm assuming it does) then that could be dirty or faulty causing it to lean out. Strange that it throws a TPS code though.

Paging Cordell.