Diesel truck 101

Sturg1647545502

So i went camping/canoeing/fishing up in Boundary Waters MN and met up with another group of guys who drove up in a chipped 2003 7.3 excursion that got 22 mpg hauling 5 guys and 7 days worth of gear.

I dont need anything that big but i like the "progamability" and longevity of diesels.

The only thing im looking for is a king cab and a short or regular bed. I dont need to haul much other than motorcycles, camping snow and trip gear.

In considering used, what should i start looking at?

If you're willing to drive/fly. I got my truck at the 'North Texas Truck Stop'. They had a massive selection of trucks, near Dallas TX. Flew down there, picked mine up for a good price and drove home. surprisingly easy.

There are a ton of other dealers like that in the area. Got a good price on a rust free truck. Can't beat it.

If you're willing to drive/fly. I got my truck at the 'North Texas Truck Stop'. They had a massive selection of trucks, near Dallas TX. Flew down there, picked mine up for a good price and drove home. surprisingly easy.

There are a ton of other dealers like that in the area. Got a good price on a rust free truck. Can't beat it.

Good info. Thanks.

Little brothers truck got totaled friday (rear ended) and he was looking for something. I'm going to check this out.

You can get a 2004 or so Cummins quad cab for around $15-17 I've seen.

Good info. Thanks.

Little brothers truck got totaled friday (rear ended) and he was looking for something. I'm going to check this out.

You can get a 2004 or so Cummins quad cab for around $15-17 I've seen.

I got mine 3 yrs ago ('04 model) for $15.5 in Texas... :)

So i went camping/canoeing/fishing up in Boundary Waters MN and met up with another group of guys who drove up in a chipped 2003 7.3 excursion that got 22 mpg hauling 5 guys and 7 days worth of gear.

I dont need anything that big but i like the "progamability" and longevity of diesels.

The only thing im looking for is a king cab and a short or regular bed. I dont need to haul much other than motorcycles, camping snow and trip gear.

In considering used, what should i start looking at?

Love the 7.3's but the boundary waters is one of my favorite areas of the country. Used to go there several weekends a summer, and sledded there in the winter.

Love the 7.3's but the boundary waters is one of my favorite areas of the country. Used to go there several weekends a summer, and sledded there in the winter.

I'm sure its just as outstanding as you remember it; eating fish every night(blue gill, pike, small & largemouth bass, and of course walleye), hiked in a cooler packed with venison steaks and dry ice, seeing a bald eagle at least 10 times, aurora borealis, night fishing, drunken flair gun firings, amazing sunsets and rises, hiking, day canoe trips, bonfires, good cigars and drinks every night and top tier people. It was great and ill make sure to post pics once they're cleaned up. heres a teaser.

7874_10151685073818392_741659061_n.jpg

Thanks for the link. I found a couple trucks im really interested...

they all seem cheaper and cleaner than ones here

If anyone wants details on my experience I can give some advice. I was nervous as this was the first time buying a truck 'sigh unseen'.

They deal a lot with online business, they had someone come pick me up from the airport. Couldn't have been any easier.

If I hated the truck would have been a long pissed off return drive in a crappy rental car though. 15hrs to think about it! lol

I have a 04.5 3500 dually duramax on 19.5in Alcoas, it got almost 20 mpg towing a car going 80-85 mph

I just drove a 7.3 excursion, the 7.3 seem to be super loud and rough. The truck also had zero balls but it did have like 215k and no idea how the guy took care of it

I just drove a 7.3 excursion, the 7.3 seem to be super loud and rough. The truck also had zero balls but it did have like 215k and no idea how the guy took care of it

They're not as fancy and refined as new diesels, they're loud ride rougher ( it's a pre 04 ), and ain't gonna run 12s from the factory, but they are workhorses and make no bones about it. They are highly dependable excellent platforms. It's a working mans truck. Theirs a reason why these trucks ( even pre 00) in nice shape are still selling close to 20k plus.

I love my 04 it's a 6.0 but I've had no issues with it, but if I could've afforded a nice 7.3 outta Texas I'd have done it.

And +1 for Texas trucks

im a dodge man myself and love my cummins, but all my buddies have the dmax.

if you go the dmax route, watch out for the 04's as they nearly all have injector issues right at 100k. the lbz (06-07) is a POWERHOUSE. but so are the newer ones minus the emissions junk. i finally got to ride in my buddies 04 heavily modded 6 speed. its ridiculous. breaking traction in 1-4 and indenting you into the seat in 5-6. both the manual allisons and the autos are strong, smooth shifting tranny.

if you go dodge, 04.5 common rail or newer is where you want to be. my only gripe with dodge is that its backed by a 48re tranny. they are prone to failure, especially modded. there are small, relatively cheap things you can do to preserve life, but your best bet is to save for some billet upgrades, especially if you tweak it. i cant hate on the ole 12 valves though, im looking for one just to play with myself. ive heard mixed reviews on the 6.7 cummins so far.

ive never liked fords so i have no opinion.

im a dodge man myself and love my cummins, but all my buddies have the dmax.

if you go the dmax route, watch out for the 04's as they nearly all have injector issues right at 100k. the lbz (06-07) is a POWERHOUSE. but so are the newer ones minus the emissions junk. i finally got to ride in my buddies 04 heavily modded 6 speed. its ridiculous. breaking traction in 1-4 and indenting you into the seat in 5-6. both the manual allisons and the autos are strong, smooth shifting tranny.

if you go dodge, 04.5 common rail or newer is where you want to be. my only gripe with dodge is that its backed by a 48re tranny. they are prone to failure, especially modded. there are small, relatively cheap things you can do to preserve life, but your best bet is to save for some billet upgrades, especially if you tweak it. i cant hate on the ole 12 valves though, im looking for one just to play with myself. ive heard mixed reviews on the 6.7 cummins so far.

ive never liked fords so i have no opinion.

thanks for the info. Im a dodge person but I need the quad cab to be as big as possible and they 04-08 rams just are not big back there. Also have heard a ton of horror stories about the transmission.

I was told to get a 06-07 dmax

Can't go wrong with the 5.9L CR. Paid $19.8k for my 04.5 a year ago. But wasn't stock.

Some guy on the cummins forum got 900k miles out if his stock 5.9L CR before it went.

As for MPG's, I don't beleive anyone that doesn't hand calculate there MPG's. Especially on these cummins trucks. My overhead said as high as 30 MPG average. I've yet to break 19 hand calculated.

Can't go wrong with the 5.9L CR. Paid $19.8k for my 04.5 a year ago. But wasn't stock.

Some guy on the cummins forum got 900k miles out if his stock 5.9L CR before it went.

As for MPG's, I don't beleive anyone that doesn't hand calculate there MPG's. Especially on these cummins trucks. My overhead said as high as 30 MPG average. I've yet to break 19 hand calculated.

Mine is 2wd manual. If I stay 65mph and its nice and hot out. I'll get 21-22mpg.

Pulling the RX-7 to tail of the dragon I AVERAGED 17mpg. Love the truck.

all hand calculated.

Mine is 2wd manual. If I stay 65mph and its nice and hot out. I'll get 21-22mpg.

Pulling the RX-7 to tail of the dragon I AVERAGED 17mpg. Love the truck.

all hand calculated.

I'm talking about the guys that have 4x4 1 tons and claim 23 MPG high way and 19 city.

Mine is a 4x4.