Used Gym Equipment?

dover

How heavy were you squatting?

Why did you hate it? the re-entry? the bouncing hooks?

At the time I was only squatting 225, but I was definitely not a fan of the whole mechanism(hooks?). It takes a lot of trust to just hang a bar on those hooks without worrying you'll drop the whole thing. Not to mention, you're fucked if your spotter is too busy admiring the chick down the row doing squats. They didn't seem very sturdy to me, and the safety chains were pretty cumbersome.

I like the idea of that machine, but I find that I like the traditional cage a little better.

Normally you step the bar into the vertical bar of the hooks then let it down. Sometimes if the hooks aren't tailored to your height/stance it seems a bit like it might be uneasy/scary. Try putting the hooks up higher via adjustment. The one I have used is super sturdy because we put 100lb weights and such on each of the bottom sides of the frame. And the safety chain system works well and stays out of the way for me. You should try the machine I work on sometimes. you might like it better.