$70,000 RWD Kia. Kind of want.

Benner

Every one of you that know me, all said the same thing about Kari's Optima. Then you saw it, and some of you have ridden in it. All of you liked it. All. Of. You.

On sheer VALUE (that's bang/buck, HP/buck, features and gadgets/buck) this will out German the Germans. And don't be daft. NO ONE cross shops a 7 series (comparison from the article) with a CTS-V coupe (you guys mentioned it).

Are all of you are so stuck up on the badge a vehicle wears? Are all your shoes Gucci? All your suits Armani? That's right, everyone here dates super models and poo poos a girl that's an 8. How silly of me.

Every one of you that know me, all said the same thing about Kari's Optima. Then you saw it, and some of you have ridden in it. All of you liked it. All. Of. You.

On sheer VALUE (that's bang/buck, HP/buck, features and gadgets/buck) this will out German the Germans. And don't be daft. NO ONE cross shops a 7 series (comparison from the article) with a CTS-V coupe (you guys mentioned it).

Are all of you are so stuck up on the badge a vehicle wears? Are all your shoes Gucci? All your suits Armani? That's right, everyone here dates super models and poo poos a girl that's an 8. How silly of me.

I don't think anybody (especially anyone who looks at the numbers) would argue the Optima is a good value. The point being made here, is that people that are cross shopping the Optima are cross shopping the Camry, Accord, Passat, ETC.

People shopping in the 70k+ market are looking at the 5/6/7 Series, A7/A8/ Merc E/S Class. None of them are aware it exists, and yes, they would be laughed out of the UA neighborhood for buying a 70K Kia, regardless of it's merits or warranty.

Take the VW Phaeton for example. VW Doesn't have the same cache here as it does in Europe. The Phaeton was one the most advanced cars on the planet at the time. The Phaeton was also a 100K VW competing in the same segment. It died a horrible death here, and suffered some of the worst depreciation imaginable. Because, that doctor could never park next to the BMW or Merc in the practice without being laughed out the door for paying 100K for an "oversized vw", despite it being the same chassis as a Bentley Flying Spur.

Brand recognition and "theoretical prestige" are part of the game in that segment, truth hurts.

People don't buy cars just because of value. It's an important component of a buying decision, but just as importantly is how a car makes you feel. Different people look for different feelings from a car. I look for driving feel, for steering response, and for the je ne sais quoi that makes me smile when I drive. Some people place a greater emphasis on value, and for that person a Kia may be the right car. No one will ever convince me that the most bang for the buck is the right car for me. I put up with a Korean tub of shit (Hyundai Santa Fe) and I will never own another Hyundai/Kia again. I don't like what they do to the car world. I don't like that they place a greater emphasis on value than the experience of driving. They are not for me.